Chapter 27

I sat back down on the couch next to Conner. “It’s so empty and... quiet.”

“I know.” He said, staring at a blank TV screen. Now what?

“I’m bored.”

He turned to me. “Well, we could go see a movie.”

I thought about it for a second, and then shrugged. “Sure. There’s a little theater in a town nearby. Pretty cheap too.”

He smiled. “Alright. Let’s go.”

“Mirabelle! Seth! Rena! We’re going to see a movie! Hurry up and get ready if you’re coming!” I yelled up the stairs.

Ten minutes later, Conner, Seth, and I were waiting impatiently by the door waiting for Mirabelle to find her converse. Rena had decided to take a nap instead of joining us. Stomping on the stairs told me we were ready to go. Seeing as I still don’t have a car, we were forced to run there.

               The theater we were heading to definitely did not meet the definition of top notch. It was just a stray little theater that only showed older movies just because that’s what the manager could get from other theaters for free. The popcorn was okay, but nothing special. At least it was really cheap to go to.

               When we got there the only two things showing were Titanic and Finding Nemo. Seeing as Titanic made Mirabelle and I weep too much and it was too ‘girly’ for the guys, we went with Finding Nemo. At the beginning we bought two popcorns and by the time we came out they were empty.

               “I can speak whale! HEEELLLLLOOOOOOOOOO! MY NAME IS DDOOOORRRRRYYYYYY!!!!!” called out Seth, imitating the movie for the ten thousandth time since we finished watching it.

               I gave an exasperated sigh. “Seth, stop it.”

               “Aw, mister grumpy gills.” He pouted at me, quoting the movie once again.

               Ignoring him, I threw away the empty popcorn bags before starting the run home. The rest of the day went without any more great annoyances and by suppertime I was carefree and happy again. I fixed up some more leftovers from the night before to eat and soon enough we were all eating in silence.

               I glanced over at Zevi. He seemed a little glum still, but happy enough. “So how are you and Leah doing?”

               “Okay. I’m going to see her tomorrow I think.”

               Then Seth slapped his forehead and we all gave him strange looks. “Oh dang. I never told Mom I was going to be gone for so long... oh well. I’m sure Leah will tell her. I’m going to be leaving after this anyways.”  

               Conner chuckled. “You’re not the only one. I’m going to have to call up my mom too. She was more freaked out when I left for a month without saying a thing.”

               I turned to him. “You left without telling her? At least I told my mom I was leaving.”

               “Your mother was in the middle of all the scheming to get us back together. Besides, I was looking for you so I wasn’t thinking about much else.”

               I shook my head with a smirk tugging at the corners of my mouth, and turned back to my food. That’s when I remembered. “Girls, set your alarms. You go to school tomorrow. The bus will come at 7:10.”

               Mirabelle groaned while Rena started jumping up and down in her seat. “Why are you so happy? It’s just school.” Grumbled Mirabelle.

               “I haven’t been to an actual public school since I was in fourth grade!” she exclaimed excitedly.

               “Really?” asked Zevi.

               She nodded vigorously. “Between foster homes, running away, and the orphanage, yeah. So now I’m really eager to be finally going back!” she grinned happily. “Hey, maybe I can even date for once.”

               I don’t know if the extra sleep went to her head, or if she didn’t mean to say that aloud, but Conner started choking on his food so Zevi and I had to repeatedly pound his back until he was okay again while Mirabelle started talking to Rena in hushed tones. Overall, it turned to chaos. But once Conner stopped choking, and the others had returned to eating, all was well.

Dinner finished in a relative peace and Seth gave a parting kiss to Mirabelle before heading home. Zevi settled into the guest bedroom and the girls went to theirs, leaving me and Conner to mine.

After changing into my pjs, I crawled into bed where Conner was already lying. “Why you’d freak out at the thought of Rena dating? You’re fine with Seth and Mirabelle.”

“It wasn’t the thought of it; I just didn’t expect her to say that. Which in turn triggered the choking.”

“Yeah your right. I’m not so sure how I should take her dating either. But why does it matter so much to you? I’m the parent here.”

“Well seeing as they’re your official daughters, which still sounds weird to say, and because they’re important to you, they’re important to me.” He explained, making me smile. “I love you.” He whispered, shifting closer to me.

“I love you too.” I whispered back, inches away from his face. He smiled and drew my lips to his, kissing me softly. I relaxed into it and felt his hand gently caressing my face. Before it went any further though, I stopped.

He silently understood and yawned. We were both really tired. I closed my eyes and let the weariness take over until I was completely asleep.

*************************************************

okay, yeah I know, it's a short one. Oh well. The next one is going to be HILARIOUS!

btw, the trailer is all ready to go and on the side, go check it out!

VOTE

COMMENT

FAN