fifty five | dance with somebody

With his arms crossed over his chest, Christian did nothing but roll his eyes as Mercedes said, "It was written for Diana Ross

With his arms crossed over his chest, Christian did nothing but roll his eyes as Mercedes said, "It was written for Diana Ross."

Rachel replied, "No, Mercedes, you are wrong, okay? The Bodyguard was originally written for Barbra Streisand."

It was then that Mr. Schuester said as he entered the choir room, "Actually, Rachel, it was supposed to be Diana Ross-- and Steve McQueen, back in the seventies."

While she looked at Rachel, Mercedes said, "Thank you, Mr. Shue."

Before he started to write on the whiteboard, Mr. Schuester told them, "I've been doing some research to prepare for this week's lesson."

As soon as he saw what was written on the whiteboard, Sam asked, "Are we sure that's appropriate?"

As she turned to look at Sam, Mercedes said, "You did not just ask that."

Sam replied, "I just mean, didn't Whitney kind of have a lot of problems?"

While Christian scrunched his nose in response, Mercedes said to Sam, "She had a hard life, Sam. And?"

Mr. Schuester told them, "Look, this week isn't about passing judgment on Whitney. It's about celebrating her legacy, honoring her memory, her accomplishments."

With a raise of his hand, Kurt said, "Which I will happily list for you."

Then Mr. Schuester said to them, "But I also want you guys to use her songs to get underneath your own feelings. To express and explore what's really going on with you."

Finn replied, "I don't get it, Mr. Shue. What's really going on with us?"

Mr. Schuester told them, "Well, for most of you, these next few weeks will be your last here at McKinley. Lots of changes coming up, lots of... saying goodbye. To your friends, to your significant others, to the last four years of your life. For a young person, all that transition can be overwhelming. So it's easier to focus on other things. Like not being able to say goodbye to Whitney Houston."

With a shake of her head, Santana asked him, "What are you talking about?"

Mr. Schuester said to her as he stood from the stool he was sitting on, "Santana, it's okay. I get it. You're hanging on to Whitney because it's difficult to handle the upheaval in your own lives."

Santana told him, "We're hanging on to Whitney because she was incredible and we love her, so don't put your baggage on us."

It was then that Rachel said, "You guys, Mr. Shue's attempt to understand us, though misguided, doesn't matter. What matters is that I start rehearsing Whitney's version of 'The Star-Spangled Banner' immediately. It is the Mount Everest of anthems."

* * *

With her hand raised, Brittany sang, "Clock strikes upon the hour and the sun begins to fade. Still enough time to figure out how to chase my blues away. I've done alright up till now, it's the light of day that shows me how. And when the night falls, my lonely heart calls." As she pulled Mike up out of his seat and started to dance with him, she sang, "Oh, I wanna dance with somebody, I wanna feel the heat with somebody."

As Brittany pulled Blaine out of his seat as well, she sang, "Yeah, I wanna dance with somebody, with somebody who loves me." While she pulled both Joe and Christian out of their seats, she sang, "Oh, I wanna dance with somebody, I wanna feel the heat."

While she pulled Quinn forward by her wheelchair, Brittany sang, "Yeah, I wanna dance with somebody, with somebody who loves me."

Then Santana sang after Brittany pulled her out of her chair, "Somebody who, somebody who." From where they were dancing around on the stage, Santana sang, "Somebody who loves me. Somebody who, somebody who. To hold me in her arms, oh."

Then Brittany sang, "I need a woman who'll take a chance on a love that burns hot enough to last."

It was then that both Santana and Brittany sang, "So when the night falls, my lonely heart calls. Oh, I wanna dance with somebody, I wanna feel the heat with somebody. Yeah, I wanna dance with somebody, with somebody who loves me. Don't you wanna dance? Say you wanna dance. Don't you wanna dance? Don't you wanna dance? Say you wanna dance. Don't you wanna dance? Don't you wanna dance? Say you wanna dance. With somebody who loves me."

While they made their way towards the front of the stage, Brittany said, "Obviously, I like dancing with Santana best, but you guys are all still cool dancers. And Quinn, you're still dancing in my dreams. And you can fly and breathe fire."

* * *

With a raised eyebrow, Christian watched as Blaine made his way towards the front of the choir room, while he said, "This song is for anyone that's ever been cheated on."

While Christian did nothing but sigh to himself in response, Kurt said, "This is insane. I didn't cheat on you!"

It was then that Brittany said, "Cheetahs have the fastest land speed of any living animal."

While Christian looked down at Brittany with furrowed eyebrows, Blaine sang, "Friday night, you and your boys went out to eat, uh-uh-uh-uh. Then they hung out, but you came home around three. Yes, you did. If six of y'all went out, uh, then four of you were really cheap, 'cause only two of you had dinner. I found your credit card receipt." Then Christian and everyone but Kurt sang with Blaine, "It's not right, but it's okay. I'm gonna make it anyway. Pack your bags up and leave. Don't you dare come running back to me. It's not right, but it's okay. I'm gonna make it anyway. Close the door behind you, leave your key. I'd rather be alone than unhappy."

While the Glee Clubbers sang 'I've been through all this before', Blaine sang, "I've been through all this before." After the Glee Clubbers sang 'so how could you think', Blaine sang, "I said yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah-yeah, yeah. Don't you turn around."

Then both the Glee Clubbers and Blaine sang, "There's no more tears left here for you to see. Was it really worth you going out like that? Tell me." After the Glee Clubbers sang 'you were making a fool of me, yeah', Blaine sang, "Uh, uh, yeah. Uh. It's not right. It's okay. I'm gonna, I'm gonna, hey-ey-ey-ey. Close the door and leave your key. I'd rather be alone than not happy. It's not right. It's okay, baby. I can pay my own way. Ain't my life over. Take care of my business. Oh, oh, whoa-oh!"

As soon as Blaine turned around and started to leave the choir room, Christian did nothing but sigh to himself before he said, "Well, well, well. Looks like Rachel's not the one going around and screwing up someone's life for once."

Instead of responding to Christian, all Kurt did was stare out of the doorway of the choir room with his eyebrows furrowed and a frown on his face.