seventy eight | the quarterback

After writing 'Finn' on the whiteboard, Mr

After writing 'Finn' on the whiteboard, Mr. Schuester turned to them and said, "I'm really glad so many of you could make it back for this."

Mike told him, "We wouldn't miss it for anything, Mr. Shue."

Mr. Schuester said to them, "The funeral was for everyone, but I wanted to do something just for us. To memorialize him the only way we know how-- by singing. All week long. Anyone who wants to can come up and sing. Maybe a song he sung, maybe something that reminds you of him..."

Noah replied, "Singing isn't going to bring him back."

With a shake of his head, Mr. Schuester said, "No, it's not. Nothing is. Not ever." Just as Christian's eyes started to burn once more, while he stared ahead of himself with a blank look on his face and his hands clenched into fists, Mr. Schuester said, "But... for two minutes or so, we can all maybe remember the best parts of him. So, think of what you want to sing, if you want to sing, and we'll start tomorrow."

With a shake of her own head, Mercedes told him, "Oh, I-I can't wait until tomorrow, Mr. Shue." As she started to walk towards the front of the room, she said, "I've been bawling for three weeks. And in those three weeks, I've had Christian constantly calling me and leaving me voicemails that consisted of only him crying and barely able to get a single word out. If I don't get this all out now, I don't think I'll ever stop crying."

Mr. Schuester replied, "Sure, Mercedes. Start us off."

After she stopped right beside the piano, she said, "Um... I, uh, remember Finn telling me that he sang this song to his baby's sonogram. Well, he thought it was his baby. He was the first cool kid to be nice to any of us, and he was... our leader in here. We love you, Finn."

Just as Christian closed his eyes and yet another tear started to roll down the side of his face, the intro to the song started to play before Mercedes sang, "Oh, why you look so sad? Tears are in your eyes. Come on and come to me now. Don't be ashamed to cry. Let me see you through, 'cause I've seen the dark side, too. When the night falls on you, you don't know what to do. Nothing you confess could make me love you less. I'll stand by you. I'll stand... by you. Won't let nobody hurt you. I'll stand by you. So if you're mad, get mad. Don't hold it all inside. Come on and talk to me now. And hey, what you got to hide? I get angry, too. Well, I'm a lot like you. When you're standing at the crossroads and don't know which path to choose, let me come along, 'cause even if you're wrong, I'll stand by you."

While the others started to sing 'I'll stand by you' and Mercedes sang 'oh', Christian did nothing but continue to dig his fingernails even more into the palms of his hands as he slowly started to shake because of the burning feeling that was slowly becoming more and more worse with each second that passed.

And as he became angrier and angrier and his left eye soon enough started to twitch, Mercedes sang, "I'll stand by you." After the others sang 'won't let nobody hurt you', Mercedes sang, "Nobody hurt you, no."