Chapter 5

My stomach growled for the seventeenth time. It finally drove me to work my ass down the stairs. I'd already read through half a manuscript and responded to all my emails. Despite my unease, nobody seemed to be bothered by my working from home.

My socks slipped across the hardwood floor of the kitchen. I tried not to make any noise. I wasn't sure if Arrow and Sin were here but I wasn't trying to find out. Arrow made it sound like they weren't here often during the day. And given that it was well past noon, I hoped that meant they were gone.

I opened the fridge and pulled eggs, spinach, cheese and some tomatoes. And thank god, they had oat milk. What kind of grown ass men had oat milk? I mean I wasn't too upset because I don't drink regular milk. But it was still bizarre. Manly men didn't drink oat milk.

A low hum of voices thrums down the hall and I pause, my hands hovering over the side of the bowl, egg in hand. The voices aren't loud. They're so muffled that I wonder if I'm hearing things. But I set the egg down anyways and move back towards the living room, getting closer to the muffled voices. Though they'd gone silent now. Fuck.

There was only one door between the kitchen and the living room. Dark mahogany wood that looked slightly daunting from where I stood in the shadows. I reached for the knob but the door shot open and I stumbled back.

The man who walked out was tall and lanky. Taller than Sin. But skinner. Lacking muscle. He had a large rose tattooed over his Adam's apple. His beady dark eyes fell on me and he stilled, Standing in the doorframe even though I could tell there were people behind him. Sin standing behind him. I would recognize that rigid, bulky frame anywhere.

"You're a precious little thing aren't you?" The hint of a British accent caught me off guard. The man finally steps out of the door and into the small hallway between the kitchen and living room. He moves to the right, blocking my way to the living room. He glances over his shoulder as Sin stalks out of what looks to be a conference room. "Sin, you didn't tell me you had a pet."

Sin shocks the shit out of me when he moves to my side. Going as far as to brush my shoulder with his. I nearly turn to stare in shock but I hold back. Something feels wrong. Off. And it's not with Sin. It's with the man in front of me. His dark eyes narrowing on the exposed skin of my shoulder. I'm tempted to pull my sweater up, but I know it'll fall right back down. It's 2x too big for me.

"She's not a pet." Sin replies, voice calm but stern. Arrow appears beside him. The usual sarcastic smile on his lips has been replaced with a a dark, calculating stare.

Neck Tattoo smirks. Eyes trailing low again and I cross my arms over my chest. "So she's_"

"She's ours." Sin cuts him off. Whatever Neck Tattoo was about to say is swallowed by two words that open a pit in my stomach.

Neck Tattoo raises a brow. Eyeing Sin and then Arrow before moving back to me. I find myself moving closer to Sin under his gaze. Sin's arm wraps possessively around my waist and he tugs me into his back. His breath tickled the top of my ear. His chin brushing the top of my head.

"Interesting," Neck Tattoo says. "I didn't realize you did that."

"I didn't realize you kept tabs on me." I feel Sins head twitch sideways above me. His fingers dig into my leggings and I nearly regret wearing them. Jeans next time. Definitely, jeans I tell myself as his fingers move. Dancing around my hip bone. Neck Tattoos eyes track the movement. Staring at Sin's tattooed fingers splayed across my dark green leggings.

Finally, he shrugs. "I don't." He says, an easy grin spreading across his lips. "But you know the men," he takes a step back, giving me a pointed look. "They talk."

It sounds like a threat. I don't know why but it does. But with that, he steps around the corner and disappears. After a few heartbeats, I hear the front door open and close.

Sin pushes me away from him and into Arrow. I stumble but Arrow catches me, arms wrapping around my waist to pull me upright until I find my feet. I put my hands on his chest and shove away from him. "What the hell was that?" I glare at Sin. Not talking about him shoving me into Arrow. Sin sneers at me and turns on his heel, stalking into the kitchen. I'm hot on his back and Arrow is hot on mine.

Sin spins when we enter the kitchen, his fist landing hard on the countertop. The noise is so loud that I flinch. "That?" He laughs humorlessly. "That was me saving your ass."

"Sin." Arrow warns from somewhere behind me.

"Saving my ass?" I throw my hands up. "Fuck, what did I ever do to deserve such a kindness from you? Should I get on the floor and kiss your fucking feet?"

A hint of a smirk crawls up Sin's lips but he says nothing. Though I know he's got about a million replies on the tip of his tongue and I'm almost hoping he'll use one. But Arrow steps between us.

"Can't we just all get along?" His easy smile is back. And so is the sarcasm. I roll my eyes and run my hand through my hair.

"Who was he?" I ask Arrow.

Arrow looks down at me. Icy hair falling into his bright eyes until he runs a hand through it. "He's a local boss of one of the small gangs outside of Sin Sity. He's supposedly been wanting to move into the city for years but he doesn't have the man power yet."

"So what? You sucked his dick over breakfast to make it all better?" I snap. I know I'm acting like a child but I don't care. I'm frustrated. And when I get frustrated I lash out.

Arrows lips pull up but he pushes down the smile as Sin snarls at me. "You know what they say about enemies, Poison, right?" Arrow asks, sighing.

Sin stiffens visibly and I don't know if it's because Arrow throws and arm over my shoulder or because of his new nickname for me. Either way, Sin didn't like it. And he made that abundantly clear as he marched out of the kitchen grumbling under his breath.