Chapter 15

They say it takes the human brain around three seconds after you wake up to remember anything.

But I call bullshit.

The second I woke up, I remembered everything. Even if I didn't, the ache in my muscles as I sat up would've certainly reminded me.

I wasn't in my bed. I remember that too, although the aftermath of what happened is a bit blurrier than the actual events. But Arrow brought me here. I know that much. The room is dark, I have a feeling it's the middle of the night. There's blinds behind me but they're drawn closed.

Even in the dark, I can make out some of the room mostly from the light creeping in from under the door to hallway.

Arrow's room is mostly grey. His comforter is gray, the walls are gray, the tall corner lamp is gray. There's a few splashes of color, some deep greens and dark blues. But for the most part, it was dull. Not what I expected from Arrow. Minimalism just didn't fit his optimistic personality.

There's a few papers scattered around the dresser across the room but other than that, the room is perfectly neat. Almost like nobody lives here. The only reason I knew it was Arrow's was because the closet door was open and I could see an array of t-shirts hanging, all organized by color.

I stretch my wrists out in front of me and let out a soft groan. Pulling myself out of the bed, I pad through Arrow's room and over the adjoining bathroom. It's simple just like the bedroom.

I wince when I catch a glimpse of myself. There's no bruises, no visible evidence of what happened- I just look like hell. There are deep bags under my eyes and the mascara I'd swiped on is now all over my face. I grab a wash cloth from the hanger and rinse it in warm water and begin cleaning the makeup off. When it's gone, I look a little better. Far less like the Corpse Bride than before. I run my fingers through my dark tangled hair and when I'm satisfied I flip the light off and turn out of the room.

Walking back into the bedroom, I sit at the end of the bed and stare at my bare thighs.

Why did I let myself get pulled into this? And now that I was in, would I ever get out? Especially now that Tether apparently had it out for me? But I had no interest in being here forever. No interest in being a prisoner or a damsel for the rest of my life. And I hated that I couldn't solve this on my own. I hated that I needed them. Without them... clearly I was as good as dead. Just like they'd said.

That damn farm. That damn honey. That damn sweet woman.

I don't want to think about what I would do if I could take it back. I can't even if I wanted to and it's too late now so there's no sense in it. No sense in torturing myself with it.

A door shuts downstairs and I perk up.

Are they awake?

Of course, my brain starts to come up with much more sinister ideas as well. Tether's men are back and at any moment they'll walk up behind me with a blade in hand. But I shake my head, trying my best to clear the thoughts as I stand from the bed.

I open Arrow's door and walk into the hallway and down the large stairwell.

It's mostly dark except a few lights on in the study. Though it was so damned big, it might as well be a library. I pad on, my bare feet surprisingly quiet against the hardwood.

When I step inside, I see Arrow first. Asleep in an arm chair. His head lolling to the side, a few papers in his lap and a few on the floor by his feet. He looks so peaceful that it makes me relax.

"You're awake,"

I turn to face Sin. His green eyes look brighter somehow in the dim lights of the study. His large mahogany desk is scattered with papers, books, an iPad, a map, pens... you name it. If I didn't know better, I'd think he had a real job.