Chapter 27

The room shatters into chaos.

Something flies across the room and shatters against the wall. I can't even make out what it was. A lamp maybe?

Sin is pacing, running his hands down his face.

Isaiah is staring at nothing- mouth still parted in shock.

Arrow stands from the couch so fast I almost fall into the empty space he left.

"Calm down." He says to Sin. Stepping in front of him.

"Calm down?!" He spits and I actually hear some sort of accent leak into his voice but I can't tell what it is. "She's fucking Italian!" Sin whirls on me, his green eyes blazing. "Is Lancaster even your last name?"

"What?!" I ask incredulously.

"Lancaster is pretty fucking American, sweetheart." And it's clear this time when he speaks. The accent is so thick it's impossible to miss.

Sin is French.

I stare at him for a moment. Not really thinking about what he said at all.

"We looked into her, Sin. Lancaster was the only family name listed." Arrow says, but he eyes me like he's not sure he believes it himself.

"So what?" Sin throws his hands up. "It's not hard to seal the rest or destroy it. Her birth certificate doesn't even say she was born in Italy."

"It doesn't?" I ask, my stomach twisting.

Sin looks at me a moment. "No." There's a clear bite to his voice but the accent is gone. "No it's doesn't. It says you were born in the states which makes me think you're hiding something." He takes a step towards me but Arrow steps in between us.

I take a breath. "I'm not trying to. What do you want to know?"

I feel bad for Isaiah, having to watch this all go down. But when I glance back at him the blank look is gone and he looks almost entertained.

Great. Glad someone is.

"When did you leave Italy?" Sin asks.

"When I was six."

"Do you remember your birth father?"

"He was tall with dark hair and he was away a lot. That's all I remember."

"Did he come with you back to the states?"

"No," I shake my head. "My mother told me a few years later when I was 12, that he had died in an accident."

"Did she embellish?"

"If she did, I don't remember."

Sin glances at Arrow. It's not often that I see him look to anyone. But they start to have some sort of silent conversation. I glance at Isaiah to find him watching them too.

"What are you not saying?" I snap.

Sin turns to glare at me. "What did dear old dad do, Ivy?"

I pause. "You're not implying..."

"I think that's what I've been implying since the start of this incessant conversation."

"My father was not a mobster."

Arrow gives me a look like he's sorry. And like he actually might hate this as much as I did. Though that's very unlikely.

"How do you know?" Arrow asks very carefully.  Like I'm some caged animal ready to charge at him.