Chapter 39

Four days.

It's been four days.

I hadn't spoken a word to anyone. I'd barely left my room. Only to eat.

If I had any chance of getting out of here, I wouldn't be able to do it if I stopped eating. Though everything tasted bland. Like being alone- or at least without the people who bring some light to your life- just sucked away the flavor.

My father hadn't reached out. A part of me was surprised he hadn't called to push me. To guilt trip me with his bizarre mob family obligations again. But something told me he was keeping busy. I just hoped that whatever he was doing had nothing to do with Arrow and Grey.

There was a part of me, the selfish, fucked up part that hoped like hell that they were looking for me. That they would search every part of this country and set the place ablaze to find me. The other part- the better part, hoped that they stayed away. It hoped that they'd shrugged their shoulders and been relieved that they'd gotten rid of their loose end and they were back to living their lives in Sin Sity.

Realistically, I was nothing. We were nothing. There was no label. I'm not sure how you'd label something like that anyways.

Maybe it was better this way. To have it end like this. Because I wasn't sure I could handle them ending it in any other way.

I imagine them trying to drop me at my apartment like nothing ever happened. Arrow would look awkward, like he felt obligated to kiss me goodbye but knowing he shouldn't. And Grey would be stone faced and irritated. He would've turned to leave before I even said goodbye.

At least now, I can wonder what if. Instead of being painfully aware of how much they don't need me.

The door to my room opens and I look up. One of the guards- the same one who'd ridden in the car with me, stood in the doorway. I'd leaned his name was Landon. Unfortunately, he'd been nothing but kind since I arrived.

"Dinner is ready, if you're hungry."

I meet his eyes for a split second before I look back down at the comforter. I tug at the dark purple fabric wishing it was black. Wishing I was back at Grey and Arrow's mansion in Sin Sity.

"I can bring some up for you," He says. "If you'd like."

I shake my head. The last thing I wanted was these motherfuckers getting any ideas and running my errands for me. I'd go down and get dinner when I wanted it. I was a big girl.

"You know the silent treatment won't work forever, right? Eventually, you'll have to accept that you're acting like a child."

I go still. It was the first time any of my fathers men had spoken to me like that. Like I wasn't a China doll. And for some stupid reason I laughed.

I laughed until tears streamed down my cheeks and my stomach ached.

Landon just watched with an amused look on his face as he leaned against the door frame.

"That funny?" He asked.

"No," I say, wiping my tears and trying to find my broken voice. "It's funny that you think this is me acting like a child."

"Well isn't it?" He raises an accusing eyebrow, but his lips are still quirked in a smirk. "Little girl doesn't wanna listen to her daddy, right?"

I scoff. "Daddy," I sneer is the word. "Is a mob boss."

"Something against the mafia?"

I lean back against the pillows and look up at the ceiling. "I'm not a huge fan so far." I retort.

He hums. "I've heard rumors that say otherwise."

I snap my head to him. His eyes sparkle. Clearly enjoying that he's ruffled my feathers.

"Don't talk about them." I grit out through clenched teeth.

"Okay so the daddy issues is off limits, the boyfriends are off limits... what can we talk about?" He muses, rubbing his chin.

"I don't know, figure it out while you're walking down the stairs." I snap back.

"Why haven't you ran yet?" He looks genuinely interested now. "Who did he threaten? Because I imagine your boyfriends can handle themselves."

My jaw sets. I don't say anything but I can feel his eyes on me. Tracing over my face.

I'd like to strangle him. Wrap my hands around his throat and squeeze so he'd so stop questioning. So everything he knew already would just disappear.

"Get out." I grit through clenched teeth.

He was quiet for a few minutes. The silence weighing between us like wet blanket. Heavy and uncomfortable.

"I'm sorry," His voice is soft and he clears his throat. "I'm sorry, that you're stuck here."

I huff. "You're saying that so I'll pick you."

Landon laughs. "You think I'd be standing here insulting you if I thought you were going to pick me?"

Shrugging, I pick at a loose piece of purple fabric. "Well, you're the only one who's gotten me to speak."

I see him nod out of the corner of my eye. "Should I get the rings then?"

He's lucky that I can hear sarcasm in his tone or I'd break his fingers.

I shake my head and sigh, looking back up at the ceiling and hoping the answer to all this shit is suddenly painted across it. I'm not surprised when I find that's it's not.

Landon let's out a breath. "I hope you know that none of us are thrilled about this either." I turn to him with a raised brow. He goes a little pink and starts again. "No no, not like that, you're clearly... I'm sure you're great and all...it's just that like we- this business you know_" He groans running a hand down his face. "Let me start over, we don't like this position any more than you do. You honestly think we want to marry someone who a) has no interest in us whatsoever and b) who knows very little of our world? You're new to all of this. This is the last place you should be."

I watch in silence as he leans his back against the door frame and let's his head fall back. It hits the frame with a soft thud.

"But in the end," He says like he's speaking more to himself than me. "It's the bosses orders. That's how it works."

I nod. "Right. The rules."

He scoffs. "Laws. Not rules."

I roll my eyes and he smiles, still staring at the wall in front of him.

When his smile slips he says, "Are you going to go through with this?"

"Do I have a choice?"

This time he rolls his eyes. "Didn't your mother run from the boss for like her entire life? Seems like she made her choice."

"As one of my father's men, is that an appropriate comment to make?"

Landon shrugs, seeming unbothered. "Probably not."

I look down. "Either way, I have people to protect. My mother didn't. It's different."

"She had you."

I narrow my eyes on the purple comforter. I hate the color. "What's your point, Landon? What do you want? Are you going to help me get out of here?"

Landon pushes off the wall and I look up at him. A slow smile growing on his face. "Finally. All you had to do was ask."