Chapter 41

I was frozen.

My mind raced.

I wanted to reach for him. To crush his body to mine and feel his strength. Feel his lips brush against mine over and over until everything around us disappeared.

But at the same time, I wanted to beg him to leave. To go back to Sin Sity and live his life the way he was before he'd ever met me. Because at least he wouldn't be in my father's line of sight. He'd be a little safer. As safe as a mafia boss could be.

"Ar_" I start, only to be cut off by someone's gruff, dark voice echoing down the hall.

"Where the fuck is she?"

My body went hot and cold all at once.

Grey.

And he sounded bloody pissed.

A shiver raced down my spine.

When he appeared beside Arrow, he looked disheveled. His eyes flickering around the room. Landing on me, running down my body a few times before they moved to Landon.

He took four purposeful steps forward, wrapped his hand around Landon's throat and threw him against the wall before I could even open my mouth.

Arrow shot forward and I followed, throwing off the comforter and trying desperately to stay standing when my feet hit the ground. But I was stupidly dizzy. My head felt light and my vision blurred. I reached for something but I couldn't find anything. My legs collapsed underneath me and I fell hard on my very bare ass.

Fuck hospital gowns. That shit hurt.

Only a split second passed before Grey was in front of me. Wrapping his arms under my legs and around my back. He lifted me off the floor like I weighed nothing and placed me back onto the bed.

My eyes found Landon who was keeled over with his hands on his knees, his breathing short and fast.

"Grey," I snap, pulling him back towards me as he tries to square up to Landon again. "He helped me."

Grey barely spares me a look, a snarl on his lips. "Clearly he did a great fucking job."

"I'd be dead if it wasn't for him." I pull at Grey's arm and this time he turns to look at me. His eyes look so tortured that it sent a pang through my heart. I'd never seen him like this. I've never see him undone and unmasked. He always had such a tight grip on his emotions, on everything but it was lost right now.  He'd lost it or he didn't care at the moment. "I didn't want to go to hospital. Landon took me anyways."

Grey pulled his arm from my grip but he didn't move from my side. "Who is he?"

"Landon Reeves, a soldier with the Alla Morte- Well former soldier now." Landon speaks for himself. He sounds solemn and I try not to cringe. I know damn well his unceremonious removal from my father's mob is because of me.

"Get lost." Grey says. Nothing in his voice. He sounds more like the man I know.

"Sin," Arrow steps forward. "They'll kill him."

Grey doesn't look at Arrow.

"Grey, please," I try. "He got me out. I'll tell you everything but we need to get out of here."

Grey is quiet for a few moments but finally, he reaches down, not looking at me as he gently pulls the IV out of my arm. Like he'd done it a million times. He gathers me in his arms again, careful to keep my hospital gown wrapped tightly around my ass.

He stands with me in his arms and looks at Landon. I watch his face. Watch his jaw feather and try to resist kissing it.

"One wrong move and I'll put a bullet in your leg and leave you for Al to put down." Grey says.

I turn to gauge Landon but he just nods.

Arrow grabs a few things from the room before we go. Some drugs, gauze, my clothes.

We slip out of the hospital without being noticed. Which I'm not sure how that's even possible with these three very large handsome tattooed men but we managed.

Arrow unlocks a large blacked out hummer out front. Not very inconspicuous but I wasn't all that surprised either. Grey slides into the back with me. Grunting at Landon to sit up front.

"My sister_"

"Arrow told her everything." Grey looks forward, away from me. "He calls her everyday and updates her. It was the only way to keep her from trying sneak out of the safe house every five minutes."

"Can I_"

"You can call after you tell me everything." He turns to look at me. His eyes drifting down. Down the hospital gown. His jaw hardens before they flicker back to my face.

I tell him everything as Arrow drives. My father and his crazy ideas about marriage and his mob and all of the bullshit about me choosing one of his men. I tell him that Landon offered to help me get out. And that we left the middle of the night after Landon disabled the security system but that one of the soldiers had woken up. He started shooting when we ran for the car. The one car that Landon hadn't slashed the tires on and that's how I ended up in the hospital.

Grey is still stone faced. But his eyes look like molten lava. I can see that he's livid. That he's ready to lose his shit.

I'm a little surprised when he carefully tugs my hips towards him. He manages to be gentle. Very gentle actually as he pushes me backwards onto the seat. My back hits the leather as my legs hang over his thighs.

At first I think he's going to try and touch me. Especially when he lifts the gown up and looks down at me. But he's not looking at me like that. He's just staring. Staring at the bandages taped against my side like they might disappear if he keeps it up.

His fingers begin to dig into my ribs. And his other hand clenches the headrest he holds.

"Who?" He breathes. I shake my head confused and slightly panicked. I try to pull the gown back down but Grey holds it at my ribs. Gripped hard between his fingers. "Who fucking did this?"

I shake my head again. "I don't know, Landon was the only one I spoke to."

"Peter Ruslo."

I turn to look at Landon but he's faced forward. Probably good because if he turned and saw me mostly naked I don't think Grey would be pleased.

Grey mumbles the name to himself and takes a deep breath in. Like knowing the name has somehow soothed him.

He releases the gown, breathing in deeply again as he places it back down over my stomach. He grabs the back of my calf and raises my knee until it's under his nose. He presses his mouth to my skin. His eyes on me the whole time.

I'm sure I look like an idiot. In a hospital gown, my hair a mess, pale and sickly looking. My mouth hanging open in shock.

Grey breathes in and closes his eyes for a split second before finding my gaze again.

"I'll kill him."