Chapter 25

Paris was larger than I expected.

I expected a small quaint city with cobblestone streets and some sort of warm glow emanating from the buildings.

It was still beautiful- still much more ornate than the states. Almost antique. Black twisted gates, perfectly trimmed hedges, cathedrals and large rounded doorways.

Though I wasn't able to see much of it. Everything I'd gathered, I'd gathered from staring out the window of the car that picked us up from the airport.

Sin and Arrow had wasted no time. This trip clearly wasn't about site seeing. I had yet to figure out what the trip was actually about. When I asked Sin as we crawled into the car, he just glared at me. He'd obviously heard what happened in the back room of the jet. And while Arrow sat with a stupid twisted smirk on his face- I sat in between them being nauseous and slightly mortified.

This really wasn't the way I saw my life going.

I didn't expect my first time in Paris to be locked in car between two mob bosses.

They sky had darkened again and after all the flying, sleeping and jet lag. I had no idea what time it was. But I was pretty certain the sun was going down not coming up. Had it been a day since everything happened? Two days? Guess it's hard to say considering the time change.

When it got too dark to see outside, I let my head fall against the headrest and I stared at the roof of the car. Arrow leans over from my right and kisses my temple. I wanted to shove down the warmth that crawls up my chest, but I can't. So instead, I moved closer to him and lay my head on his shoulder. Closing my eyes, the silence lulls me to sleep.

***

I wake as the car comes to a stop. Groggily, I try to look out the window but it's pitch black out there. So I just let Arrow lead me out of the car and into what looks like an apartment building. Which is odd because we seem to be in the middle of nowhere.

Arrow's hand is warm in mine as he walks me up a few steps. Sin unlocks the door with some sort of swipe card and we walk into the building. Lights flicker on as we enter and I realize they're motion detectors.

The lobby is beautiful. Tall ceilings with large pillars in all four corners. In the center of the room there is a glass dome with water cascading down the sides and into a pool. Aside from that- the lobby is relatively empty.

Arrow releases my hand and puts it on my lower back. He steers me towards a set of elevators. Sin stabs the button and the doors ding as they open.

We ride in silence. Arrow's hand never leaving my back even as we step out on the top floor. They direct me down to the end of the hall. We only pass one other door on the way down here.

Sin swipes his card again and the door clicks open. It's a very modern apartment. The whole main floor is a window and because we're up so high, I can see the lights glittering from the city miles away.

Arrow and Sin disappear into another room but I walk in a trance up to the glass. We're probably only thirty minutes outside of the city. But god it was beautiful. The lights and the buildings and the ambiance. I could stand here all night and stare down at it.

A knock at our door pulls me from my thoughts. I look back at the apartment door. Then around for Sin and Arrow who are nowhere to be seen.

I pad over to the door and look through the peephole. There's just one man standing there, hands in his pockets and looking painfully bored. He's got dirty blonde hair and brown eyes. And it looks like he's wearing a T-shirt and sweats. I guess it is probably late at night. I'd check my phone but the the thing died hours ago.