Chapter 20

*Three Months Later*

I slam the manuscript down and shove away from my desk. I can hear Kelly scurry out of her chair and I see her shadow under the door to my office. She waits for a heartbeat before she knocks carefully. When I make some grunting noise of acknowledgement, she opens the door and peaks her head in.

"Can I help you with something, Ms. Lancaster?"

The poor girl really did deserve a raise. Especially with how shitty I'd been acting these past few months.

I stare at her for a moment but finally shake my head. "No, Kelly, I'm sorry. I'm fine." She gives me a concerned look that says she doesn't believe a word I say- but she nods and closes the door.

The truth was- she couldn't help me. Unless she could fix whatever was inside of me that needed fixing. That nagging feeling that hasn't gone away since I left their estate.

It was making me crazy. I mean quite literally crazy. And it wasn't because I was living in paranoia, or fear. It was the exact opposite. Everything was so perfectly normal. So beautifully okay. And I hated it. I hated it so much. And I hated most of all that Tether had been right.

But it was too late. Whether I liked that life or not- it was clear that I wasn't cut out for it. And secondly, I had no place there anyways. Arrow and Sin wanted me gone so badly that they let me leave early. I stayed a few days after the incident, then Sin told me I was free to go, with a few stipulations of course. I didn't argue. If a driver and a guard posted outside my apartment is what I had to deal with in order to live my life- I'd put up with it. It was a small price to pay.

Standing, I step away from my desk and look down from my window at the street below. My dark little car sits there, the driver standing patiently by the passenger door. He was always here an hour early. I'd actually really grown to like Argo, though he rarely spoke. But he was kind and honest. Something that most men lacked.

Grabbing my keys from my desk and my purse, I turn off my computer and stack the manuscripts to the right of the screen.

I step out of my office and Kelly immediately stands. I give her a forced smile. "I'm taking off early for the weekend, you should too."

"Oh," she says, "Are you sure?"

I nod. "Yes, just please lock up. I think everyone else has gone home for the day."

She nods eagerly and begins to organize her desk and gather her things. I turn and head down the elevator.

Stepping out, I'm surprised when my sister is standing in front of me. Her expression mirrors mine.

She looks causal, in a hoodie with a flannel over the top and her hair pulled back in a bun at the base of her neck. Not in her uniform. She must not work today.

"Going home early?" She raises a brow.

I glance over her shoulder at Argo who nods at me and continues to wait patiently. "Yeah," I shake my head. "Long day."

"Hmm," She hums. "Can I catch a ride?"

Meg still hadn't gotten used to the driver. She just found it strange. But I couldn't exactly explain it to her so I just let her go on thinking whatever she wanted. "Yeah." I nod and we turn.

Argo opens the door for us. "Miss Megan, Miss Ivy." He greets.

"Hi Argo," I give him a half smile as I slip into the back seat. After he shuts the door and gets I to the drivers seat I ask, "Would you mind taking Meg home as well?"

He nods. "Certainly." He already knows Meg's address from previous rides so I don't bother telling him. He just pulls into traffic and begins the drive to my sisters apartment.

"Come out tonight." Meg says turning to look at me. I groan. I should've known this was coming. "Cmon, V, this moping isn't good for you."

"I'm not moping..." I try but even I know I'm lying.

She gives me a pointed look like she can see right through me. I know she can. I just don't like when she points it out. "A gay bar," she says. "No men. Swear."

"What about gay men?"

She waves a hand. "They don't count. They are clearly superior."

I laugh and look down at my hands.

A night out sounded okay. Better than sitting in staring at my TV or going to bed early. Both of those I seemed to be doing a lot of lately. "Alright, fine. What time should we pick you up?"

Meg smiles, her green eyes twinkling. "Nine," She swivels her head to our driver. "That okay Argo?"

I swear Argo smiles a bit. "Yes, Miss Megan."

"I knew you eavesdropped on our conversations." Meg accuses. And this time, Argo does smile. Not with teeth but his lips pull wider against his face.

"It's a small car, Miss Megan."

"Uh huh, sure." Meg teases. Argo just shakes his head and focuses back on the road.

"What do I wear?" I ask Meg, drawing her attention back to me.

"Something gay," she shrugs. "Mom Jeans, a flannel." She tugs at the soft loose fabric around her shoulders.

I shake my head. "I'm not gay."

She gives me a look as we pull up to her building. "You're not opposed to it." She states.

With that, she gets out and slams the door. I look up at Argo who looks completely indifferent but I know better.

"You didn't hear that." I tell him.

He nods once. "Yes, Miss Ivy."