Chapter 10

"The release date was pushed back to the 15th?" I pull up the calendar on my laptop with my phone pressed into my shoulder. "Why's that?"

"Uhm, one of our binders is out and it's going to take twice as long to make all the copies." The man says in my ear. I nod even though he can't see me. "I can give you 15% off for the inconvenience."

"Thank you, I appreciate that, please let me know if anything changes." I ask and he murmurs an agreement before we end the call.

I emailed Kelly asking her to please let James Howard know. He was the author who'd been patiently awaiting the release of his sapphic dystopian novel. I was too. I'd loved the book when I read it. It had been months since then but I'd already preordered my copy of the final product to have on my shelf.

It'd been three days of working pretty much nonstop. Sin and Arrow had been no shows. Everyone morning I come down earlier and earlier and they're still gone. No matter how late I stay up they still don't return. I'm not even sure they're staying here right now. Maybe I should be grateful for that. I can ignore the palpable tension and sexual chemistry that buzzes in the air whenever we're in the same room. I can ignore the way my heart picks up and my skin prickles. I can ignore the way a sick part of me wants to be involved in their lives. Even in the bad parts.

My computer bings as Kelly replies, letting me know she'll be reaching out to James.

I set my computer aside and bound down the stairs. Turning into the kitchen I grab my chest when I come face to face with a man.

He's younger than me. Maybe early twenties. He's got a spoonful of cereal a few inches from his parted lips. And he's frozen like that. Staring at me. "I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was anyone home." He mumbles through a mouth full of cereal.

I don't say anything for a moment. I mean to be fair, he looks pretty harmless. He's got big brown eyes and spiked brown hair. He looks like a mix between a himbo and a frat boy.

"Uhm I'm sorry, I'll just go back upstairs." I start to turn but he shakes his head quickly.

"No," he swallows. "Sorry, I'm Tate. I'm Arrow's cousin. I just raid their fridge every once in a while. Are you one of their girlfriends' or...?"

"No!" I say a little too quickly and he quirks a brow, a smirk spreading over his face.

"Not labeling it?"

"No, fuck no." I take a breath. "Just stuck here for a another week due to certain... circumstances." Somehow my words manage to make this sound worse than it actually is and I didn't even know that was possible.

He grins and sets the bowl of cereal down on the countertop. "Circumstances, huh?"

I nod not really sure how much he knows about his cousins line of work. He watches me for a moment, that lazy boyish grin never faltering. But finally he sighs and grabs the bowl of cereal and shovels in another mouthful.

Awkwardly, I walk to the fridge and open it feeling his eyes on my back. I grab the oak milk and set it on the counter. Walking around the counter to the pantry I grab the Honey Nut Chereos cereal from the pantry. I pour myself a bowl and despite my desire to run back up to my room, I plop down at the bar.

"What's your name and how long you been here?" Tate asks, not bothering to look up as he spoons his cereal.

"Ivy and almost a week." God, had it been that long? A part of me was relieved but another part twisted with unease at the thought. It was ridiculous of course. I didn't know a thing about the two men besides that they had some magical fingers.