Chapter 6

The house is far too quiet after Arrow and Sin leave. But I'm not dense enough to believe I'm alone. The cameras in every corner of every room are tell enough. Well except the bathroom of course. But even my room had dark camera in the corner, blinking a red light down at me. Slow and lazy.

My phone buzzes from the bedside table and my stomach lurches. Because I know who it is. I know we were supposed to have lunch today and I know she's probably pissed.

"Meg," I breathe into the phone, my chest tight.

"Where the hell are you?! Your assistant said she's forwarding your shit to your personal number and that some guy came by to pick up a manuscript today. This seems like the kinda shit you should tell your sister especially when_"

"Meg!" I bark into the receiver. She goes quiet but I hear her breathe in a shaking breath. "I'm fine.. I'm so sorry I forgot about our lunch." I say, praying she won't ask questions but knowing damn well there's no way she wouldn't.

I hear her heals start to click down the hall of my building. "What the fuck is going on, V?" She hisses. I wince. Meg might be younger than me, but she was ruthless when she was pissed.

Gripping the phone harder I admit, "I can't really tell you."

She doesn't miss a beat. "What the fuck does that even mean?" I hear the elevator ding in the background and her heals click again. "I'm coming over."

I wince. "I'm not home."

She pauses now. "If you're at Carson's, I will come drag you out by your hair." She grits. And I believe her. If I was at my ex boyfriends house, there's nobody better to remove me than Meg.

But I shake my head like she can see me. "No," I say. "I'm not at Carson's."

Meg is quiet again. "This isn't funny, Ivy." I can't remember the last time she used my real name and didn't call me "V". My eyebrows come together and I feel a migraine coming on. Running my fingers over the plush comforter under me, I consider what I can tell her.

"I'm safe. I need you to trust that." I say. I know that would be the hardest part for her given our childhood. "I got myself into something... but I'm okay. I am safe. But I can't tell you what it is without dragging you in with me."

"If you're safe," Meg says, voice deadpan. "Then why can't you drag me in with you?"

I clench my teeth and glance around the room. "Trust me, you don't want to be here."

"V, that's not good enough." She sighs, but I'm relieved by nickname and that her voice has lowered and calmed.

"I know." I nod. "But this time it has to be."

The line is quiet but I can hear the click of her heals and the honk of car horns now. "How long?"

"Two weeks."

"Christ, V." She says but eventually sighs. "I'm calling everyday. See if you can make it sooner. I'm worried."

I nod. "I know, I'm sorry."

"Love you, asshole." She says and ends the call before I can say it back.

I know she's still pissed. She has every right to be. Though in all fairness it was usually her pulling shit like this. Calling me at 3am drunk off her ass with no idea where she was. Having me call her boss and confirm that we were having a family emergency so she couldn't go in. Disappearing for a day or two with some friends up to a cabin and forgetting to call or text before she lost service. Meg never liked responsibility. Probably because she never had to have it growing up.