Chapter 14

A day passed.

The days of the week had really begun to run into each other but finally after 4 unanswered emails, I realized it was Saturday. My office was closed.

My sister already called me today. So I didn't have that to look forward to. My day was going to officially be full of watching reruns of Criminal Minds. I swear every other episode was gang related. Maybe they knew. Or I was just paranoid and irritated. The world may never know.

Eventually, I made my way down for lunch. There was a vacuum cleaner on somewhere down the hall so I assumed the cleaning staff was here. I tried my best to stay out of their way but it seems like they'd already hit the kitchen anyways. It was utterly spotless.

Im busy making myself a sandwich when the vacuum stops. Footsteps ascend up the staircase. A door opens upstairs. I close the fridge and listen. The door closes. And call me paranoid but it sounded like my door. Who would be going in my room? Were Arrow and Sin home? Why would they be looking for me? The footsteps echo down the hallway upstairs and back down the staircase. They get quieter and slower as they reach the bottom.

I drop the bread onto the counter top and grab the steak knife I was using to cut it.

I couldn't hear the footsteps anymore. It was silent. So oddly quiet that my skin crawled. My heart was pounding in my chest. I thought I was safe here. But something wasn't right. Whoever this was- they were looking for something or someone and I would unfortunately be what they find.

That or I was watching way too much Criminal Minds.

Either way- Arrow and Sin weren't here. I knew that now. I might've known it all along it was just wishful thinking.

The man who appears in the door is shorter than I imagine him. He's pale with greasy brown hair like he's been sweating all morning.

He gives me a small smile. I think it's supposed to be disarming but I just grip the hilt of the knife harder and hide it behind my back. He doesn't even track the movement. Either he doesn't see me as a threat or he's too caught up in his own plan to see beyond it.

"Hello, my love." His accent is British. And an alarm bell starts to go off in my head. That smug British bastard set this up. That fucker, I'm going to tie him up by his feet and let him hang. "There's no need to be afraid. We'll take good care of you."

I'm not listening. I'm thinking of all the places that I can stab him with this knife that might be fatal. The neck is really my only option. The knife is sharp but small. Everything else would just be a flesh wound. Nothing serious. A few stitches and it would be like nothing ever happened. But getting a shot at his neck would be a difficult task. I could stab his chest no problem. Maybe lower stomach was a better idea. I think people bleed pretty heavily from there. I'm basing this off what I've seen in movies but I don't have much to go on here. Unfortunately, unlike my housemates, I'm not well educated in killing people.

He takes a step around the island and I move too. He cocks his head, clearly amused. He likes the cat and mouse game. "Cmon now," he takes another step. "Don't play hard to get." I step. He rolls his eyes.

"You women,"

He steps. I step.

"You think you're so... different."

He steps. I take two. He raises a brow.

"You think that you can just turn down a man because it suits you."

He takes two steps. I take two steps.

"You can't. You were made for us."

He turns and stares at me across the island. His pale fingers grip the granite countertops. A nerve in my neck twitches.