Chapter 19

Tether's world wasn't much different from Arrow's and Grey's.

It was all big houses and shiny marble and guns. Lots of guns. Men with guns. Guns in safes. Guns on the coffee tables. Guns everywhere.

I can still feel the weight of the gun I'd held in my hand as I shot that man. It was just in the foot and he'd certainly survive but I still felt a little guilty.

His home was a large and Victorian style. It might even be bigger than Grey's but it seemed to house more people. There were constantly men bustling up and down the stairs, rushing down hallways and jogging through the living room. I wasn't sure why they were in a hurry, if it was today's events for if it was just a normal occurrence around here.

It was pushing 10am now. Exhaustion was starting to tug on me. But I didn't wanna sleep here. Vulnerability was not something I was interested in showing Tether. Or to any of these men.

"Darling," He pulled his office door open. He'd locked me in here while he "took care of a task". "I'm sorry that took so long but now I'm all yours. What would you like to see?"

I don't bother smiling. This isn't the club, I don't need to put on a facade for him any longer. "Whatever you want." I say, trying to put some life in my voice but failing miserably.

Tether tsks and takes a step toward me. I don't even have the energy to raise my guard. "So solemn you are. So you got caught on the wrong side," he takes my hand and pulls me out of his chair. "It happens. Now come."

I don't reply as Tether leads me out the door.

He leads me outside. The air is frigid given the time of year but I can see where we're going. A large glass dome filled with foliage. It reminds me of the scene from The Hunger Games. The one where Katnis finds President Snow inside. I wonder if he built like that on purpose. If there are white roses inside- I'll scream.

No white roses to my surprise. It's actually tropical. It's hotter than shit in here too. Luckily, I was still just in Arrow's baggy T-shirt and my jeans.

The foliage went up to the top of the glass dome. I don't know if it was just that tall or if they had MacGyvered it with lifts and shelves to appear taller. There was a small cobblestone pathway that lead through the dense plants. Tether started to walk so I followed.

I eyed the palm trees scattered across the dome. They were huge, they had to have been planted years ago. And they even had a coconut or two hanging from the bottom of the leaves. How was this even possible?

"Wow," I find myself saying as I run my fingers over the top of a huge waxy leaf to my right. I don't know much about flowers, but I do recognize a few; Birds of Paradise, hibiscus, orchids.

There was a small ding and a light mist came down over our heads. It so warm it actually felt like I was in a steam room.

My cheeks tug up as I look down at the tiny water droplets that sprinkle onto my arms. I was never really one for the tropics but it was like another world in here.

"I could spend all day in here." Tether says. To be honest, I'd kind of forgotten he was here. He brushes his shoulder with mine when I don't respond. "Do you need a jacket?" He asks as if suddenly noticing my lack of clothing.

I shake my head. "Unless you plan on tossing me out into the weather for hours, I think I'll be okay."

He nods and looks forward. There's a small gazebo ahead. Its all metal and black and looks like an ornate bird cage without a door. There's a small table inside with two chairs. When I walk closer, I can see the droplets of water accumulating on them too. It doesn't seem like the best place to stay if you don't plan on getting soaked but for the time being- it was nice.

I closed my eyes and leaned my head back, facing the warm mist. It felt good. Cleansing somehow. And maybe that's what I needed.

It was safe to say Arrow and Grey had fucked me up. They'd gotten in my head and screwed and screwed until I barely recognized myself. And while I kinda liked it- it clearly wasn't working. It clearly wasn't right.

They kidnapped people. Women. Someone's family.

This wasn't just about what they were. It was that somewhere inside me I thought that in some fucked up way, they were still moral. I mean I knew it was fucked up sense of morality- but I at least believed there were lines they just wouldn't cross. But I didn't anymore. And why would I believe that in the first place? Grey had come into my office to kill me that day. I should be dead by his hand. He was going to put a gun to my forehead and pull the trigger. And he knew my past. He knew I had a sister. A job. A life. Not much of one but a life nonetheless. He knew that for the most part- I was innocent. And he didn't care. Because why would he?

They are ruthless. They are untouchable. And I was an idiot to think that somehow, someway I meant anything to them.

"You're upset." Tether muses. I open my eyes and look at him. He's not looking at me, his eyes are cast over the dense green in front of us. "You care for them. It's a shame really."

"Why's that?"

He spares me a sideways glance. "Wasted potential," He shrugs. "You could be so much in this world if you wanted to."

"I don't want to." I bite out.

Tether laughs and it makes me itch. "You may have them fooled but I've spent the last three days watching you, darling." A shiver snaked down my spine. "You crave adventure. Danger. You crave this world. And now that you've gotten a taste, I can assure you that going back to your old life will be like eating stale biscuits for the rest of your days, trust me."

He sounded like he spoke from experience so I could help but ask. "You tried to get out?"

Tether nodded once. "Just once, and I managed it. But just like my uncle had told me, after a few months, I was begging to get brought in."

"Why?"

Tether's fingers clasp together and his knuckles whiten. "There are many addictive things in this world, darling, but fear- fear might be the best drug of all."

If someone had told me that a few weeks ago, I would've told them that they were crazy. After my childhood I had bee certain that I wanted a nice normal life. I'd lived in fear for long enough. But now- now I wasn't so sure. I wasn't that little homeless girl anyone trying to keep her mother on the right track. Trying to raise her sister. Trying to be brave. Being afraid now, it didn't have to be a bad thing.

I was afraid. I was afraid of Arrow and Grey. And I was an idiot to try and pretend I wasn't. I was afraid of this life. I was afraid of those men who tried to take me. I was afraid of Tether. I was afraid of dying. I. Am. Afraid. And I didn't really know where that put me yet.

My lips part to speak but the door opens on the far side of the dome. "Boss!" Someone calls out. "They're here."

Tether looks down at me, his throat tattoo bobbing as he swallows. He's nervous. I guess he is human after all.

Without a word, he offers me his arm. Knowing I don't have much of a choice, I take it and he leads me out the door. Out into the weather and then back into the house.

Goosebumps race down my arms as the warmth engulfs me again. Arrow's tshirt wasn't doing me much good with the constant climate change.

Tether walks me through his home towards to the main entryway. My heart beating harder with every step. As we walk, guards slip in beside us until there's at least five on each side. The guards on Tethers side look a lot larger than the ones on mine. I can't say I'm surprised.

We round the last corner and Tether pulls us to a stop. The world seems to slow as I make eye contact with Arrow, then Grey. Then the stunning woman who stands between them.