Chapter 32 - Listening...

Li Nuo's new system and Lou Nang's system, Panther. Both belongs to the same category and has similar functions. Despite being a system of a lower grade, Panther had underwent upgrades due to his host's achievements, and is capable of utilizing constant monitoring on certain individuals, capable of notifying his host any time. Also with the two being bound together for so long, panther has countless years of experience, making it able to work alongside Luo Nang flawlessly. It was mainly due to this that he had been able to remain a step ahead of Li Nuo many times.

Li Nuo's system can also keep track of certain target's location, even if not passively. If he had kept in mind that 'some things do not go the way you want', he might have gotten System to keep track of Lian Sheng's location...

Lian Sheng did not leave immediately after leaving the school. One of his teacher met him in the hallway and beckoned to him, chatting to him about some scholarships that Lian Sheng have great chances of obtaining. It was only after the teacher had went on a great ramble about some of his personal experiences and wished Lian Sheng good luck that he was able to leave.

After finally leaving the school, he passed a cafe which stood right beside the road he takes to get home. His view just happened to rest on the large window, which through it was the sight of eye catching golden-blond hair.

'Royce? and the one facing him...'

It's Li Nuo. Instead of passing by, Lian Sheng decides to go in and greet the two instead.

Pushing open the door, he began to walk over until he heard pieces of what they were talking about.

"...keeping me back is..."

"Lian Sheng?"

"...Yes"

Lian Sheng froze. At this distance, he could already hear what they were talking about. The two were too focused on their conversation that they weren't able to see the focus of their conversation near their booth. Though it's also partially contributed by the large potted plant by the door...

In just that split second, Lian Sheng made sense of what's going on.

One, Li Nuo gave an excuse so he can meet Royce alone, because whatever he wants to talk about isn't something he wants Lian Sheng to know.

Two, that he is holding Li Nuo back on something.

Lian Sheng knew that he wasn't supposed to listen in on this. However, he couldn't get rid of the urge to find out what Li Nuo is planning.

Swiftly and silently he moved behind the potted plant. Add on the tall booth seat which covered him up to his shoulders, the two that were not paying attention to their surroundings kept with their exchange. A waitress came up to him, about to speak. Lian Sheng put a finger on his lips and smiled, hoping the waitress would stay quiet. The waitress saw the two students wearing the same uniform as him, so she didn't think too much, gave a knowing smile, and left.

Throughout their conversation, there were moments Lian Sheng had wanted to intervene in. He knew that there's more to find out, so he only clenched his fist and listened on.

But then...

"...I'll be gone from this world soon."

No matter what Lian Sheng had prepared himself for, it was not this.

The impact from those words made all the blood in his body run cold. He trembled, controlling with every every ounce of willpower to not run over and question Li Nuo just what exactly he meant.

Luckily, before Lian Sheng decided to give up hiding, Royce spoke first.

"...Gone? What do you mean gone? Du Yuan, you need to give me a clear explanation, this isn't something you can easily say!

Royce couldn't be blamed for this reaction. Li Nuo looks as healthy as he could be. The news also sprang up from nowhere. Royce knew the reason for Li Nuo leaving might be a serious one, but not this!

Of course, what first sprang into both Royce and Lian Sheng's mind was that Li Nuo's talking about a terminal illness.

Li Nuo then continued with a serious tone:

"Truth is, I've had a strange condition since childhood. It's a condition that has symptoms so strange and unique that no doctor had ever been able to find another condition similar to this. Even my parents, who own a large amount of assets and spent a fortune to treat this illness, failed to do so. It's simply untreatable."

The vague wording that Li Nuo's using made Royce a bit skeptical. As Li Nuo kept talking, he reached into his backpack and pulled out...

...A fist sized rock...

"Why do you have a rock on you?" Royce unintentionally blurted out.

"It's to test the extent of my illness. Here, feel it." Li Nuo said as he passed the rock to Royce.

Royce accepted it, then tried to find what's so special about this rock.

"Isn't this just a normal rock?"

"That's the point." Li Nuo said as he took back the rock.

Then with the rock in one hand, (he made sure that no one's watching, Lian Sheng crouched down to avoid his line of sight)

He used to other to break half the rock apart like he would with a loaf of bread. To maximize the effect, he clenched down hard on one half, crumbling it into many smaller chunks.

Royce stared wide eyed...

Lian Sheng stared wide eyed... (after getting up again)

Royce reached into his own backpack and pulled out a pair of scissors. Knowing what to do, Li Nuo formed a scissor with his own fingers and snipped a metal blade into two....

"What the - !!!" Royce momentarily forgot about his purpose at the unbelievable sight.

"Since I was young, I've had strength much stronger than that of a normal person. And because of it, my body also wears out much faster, even if I seem alright now."

Li Nuo's eyes look extremely downcast as he continued to stack one unbelievable situation after another. How to make someone believe in something unreal? Show something unreal. With Li Nuo's surprisingly good acting, Royce finds himself starting to trust every bit of the nonsense Li Nuo is spitting out.

"Once my strength reaches a certain peak, it will deteriorate dramatically, until I'm left with nothing but bones. When I was young, my childhood was mostly spent in a hospital so I could be treated, and so I won't accidentally harm others. Then one day, doctors told me that I only have a few years left. They weren't able to find the specific time, but the news struck me and my family with grief."

Li Nuo then raised his head up and smiled at Royce.

"I realized that before I leave this world, I want to experience a normal life. Since I'm old enough to control my strength, I do not need to worry about accidentally hurting anyone anymore. This was why I convinced my parents to let me experience the life of a normal high schooler, and return back to them before my condition worsens... and now is the time..."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the dramatic mix of lies tinged with truths, Li Nuo was able to convince Royce into supporting his plan of gradually distancing himself from Lian Sheng. System felt the way his host handled it was a bit unconventional, but also in this way, it would be difficult for the lie to be exposed.

After wrapping up their conversation, Li Nuo left first, not knowing he would be leaving Royce full of inner turmoil.

Feeling a great sense of achievement, he walked back to his apartment. From a distance away, he saw Lian Sheng waiting beneath the stairs.

He smiled and waved:

"Lian Sheng! What are you doing here? If you arrived you should've given me a call-"

Then he realized that Lian Sheng's expression isn't quite right.

The youth who is usually enveloped in a fresh and bright aura now looks as though dark clouds covered his eyes. No trace of smile can be seem as he stood tall and silent while he glares at Li Nuo coldly.