Chapter 40 - Resolve

Lian Sheng woke to the bright rays shining through the open window and the faint smell of disinfectants. His first reaction was to move his hands but realized that his entire body felt weak and numb.

A certain worried youth rushed to his side the moment he saw his eyes open.

"Lian Sheng!" Li Nuo yelled. He had barely left Lian Sheng's side this entire time that the teen had been bedridden. If not for the nurses chasing him out once in a while, he would not leave Lian Sheng's patient bedside for even a minute.

In the end, it all paid off. The injured teen's heart warmed up the instant his eyes laid upon the other's distressed appearance. He lifted one of his weak arms, which Li Nuo grabbed tenderly.

Feeling the other's warmth, Lian Sheng smiled, as if the injury to his body was nothing but a small cut.

"You don't need to be this upset. You found me so quickly that they didn't even manage to break a bone." Lian Sheng laughed.

"How can you laugh! You even got a mild concussion!" Li Nuo gripped Lian Sheng's hand tighter at the thought.

"Otherwise you would not have lost consciousness. I...I...."

Li Nuo fell into a long silence after these words. Lian Sheng sighed and gently held up the teen's face to peer into his eyes.

"I'm alright, just look at me. You should not blame yourself."

"But if... if I had walked backed home with you like I used to, you wouldn't-"

"Even so, It's not as though you can always be by my side. There will always be a time where I will be vulnerable."

These words struck a cord within Li Nuo. Perhaps it's because he had determined Luo Nang to be harmless that he had thought it would be fine to leave Lian Sheng alone. He believed that Lian Sheng's protagonist halo alone would be enough to keep him safe from other threats.

What should he do now? He truly feels reluctant to leave...

But he has to leave soon, or else, he will become too attached to this boy, and if he did, then....

Then what?

So what, if he ends up liking Lian Sheng too much? So what, if he becomes unable to walk out of their memories?

These worries are in the end, worries. No worries could hold a single candle against this person's safety and happiness!

Li Nuo did not faze at all from Lian Sheng's gaze. He instead held those cold hands which so gently clasped his face and smiled awkwardly.

"Lian Sheng, I'm sorry, I regret avoiding you and for being such a coward. You see, I actually...really like you. I just felt too insecure about the future and worried too much. I thought you will be much happier being with someone from a better background, someone like Royce or Cheng Yin. Unlike them, I have no parents, no money, all I have is a stupid head and brawn, but...."

Li Nuo unconsciously tightened his grasp around Lian Sheng's hands and lowered his voice, his face reddening.

"If you don't mind my circumstances, would you mind accepting me as your-

BAM!!!

The sound of a hospital door slammed open echoed loudly throughout the corridor. The two teens who were so engrossed in each other's presence both looked towards the entrance, where two grownups stood threateningly.

Behind them, a nurse rushed up to the two and spoke:

"Mrs. and Mr.Sheng, I understand that you are worried about the patient but you should not raise a ruckus, it will-"