Chapter 36 - Rumours

"Host, this is called abandoning your duties." Spoke the system coldly.

"But how can you expect me to pretend nothing happened as I hang around him like before? That's shameless!" 

For the past couple of days, Li Nuo made up an excuse to the school and started taking a short leave of absence. This wouldn't have been a problem if all the major parts of the storyline had passed, but since it has not, Li Nuo is torn between whether he should shamelessly cling to Lian Sheng as before, or distance himself.

Li Nuo does not want to accept Lian Sheng's confession. However, if he does reject it, he could not easily stay by the other's side anymore. He could only hope that Lian Sheng's feelings will fade away soon and then pretend as though nothing had happened...

'...as if that will happen!!!' Li Nuo screams internally.

The teen could feel his emotions running high in frustration, so he quickly crossed his legs and assumed a meditating position.

And so there he sat. Ten minutes later, perspiration begun to form on his forehead. Another minute later, he starts to frown. Then finally-

"I. can't. stop. worrying!" Yelled out Li Nuo, who muffled his voice by directing it into his pillow.

The system watches upon this scene like observing a random person out in the streets making a fool out of himself. It would all be perfect if it also had some popcorn to munch on... not like it really can though.

'Host, I recall that you have a huge stash of resources from your original world. Would there not be some sort of a protective mechanism within them?'

"I do have some treasures, but they are all too high ranked to be used in this world, otherwise, I would have taken it out long ago." Li Nuo mumbled, racking his head for ideas.

"Ah, wait, there is a way!"

System: ?

Li Nuo rushed to his desk and quickly pulled out a notebook and ripped out a page. After picking up a pen, he started scribbling various symbols onto the paper's surface.

System: ??

"It's a pity I barely practiced talisman inscribing back in the days, otherwise the process would be much quicker." Said Li Nuo as he thought back to the steps and strokes needed to create the talisman he has in mind.

"Talismans can be created with any paper and writing utensil. I just need to input a bit of spiritual energy within the strokes! There's no way this will be discovered by the world's will. I just need to remember... was there a stroke here? Wait, no, I messed up..."

And so came the sound of crumbling paper as the scraps are then thrown into the trash can. 

Late into the night, scribbling noises can be heard constantly as Li Nuo continued his inscribing. Soon, the trash will be filled with these failed attempts and will overflow onto the floor, yet the youth is too focused to notice.

"Lian Sheng's birthday is coming up soon too, it will be a perfect excuse for me to appear and give it to him even if I had avoided him until then..."

.

.

.

While Li Nuo had been worrying about all the issues Lian Sheng will be facing in future, he did not know that those main events have been pushed forward as compared to the past two plot lines. In fact, the turmoils are starting to stir up while he was away, starting with...

When Lian Sheng arrived at school that morning, he walked in upon nonstop chatter which stopped as soon as he entered through the door. Numerous eyes followed his figure as he silently walked over to his seat and sat down. It's only then that he realized half the class is staring at him as he unpacked his belongings.

Lian Sheng: ?

A few of the students opened their mouth to speak but hesitated. Instead, they pushed the class monitor forward.

The class monitor appear to be flustered too as she adjusted her glasses and spoke softly.

"Lian Sheng, is it true that you and Cheng Yin used to date?"

Lian Sheng's gaze darkened with the mentioning of this dark history.

"It's true, and?"

The class monitor felt a bit intimidated under that gaze and stammered.

"I-I'm sorry if that sounded offensive... I'm not judging you for your preferences at all. It's just that...rumors have been spreading like wildfire since this morning, that Sheng Yue seduced Cheng Yin and Zhang Yi. I also heard that Cheng Yin cheated on you before you two broke up. Is this true too? 

"Well...it is true..." But the way it was put in words made the situation to be a lot more depressing than it really was, since it wasn't as though he really liked Cheng Yin, if anything, he was actually a bit glad that Sheng Yue got him off his hands. But in any case, who was the person that spread this rumor and how did they know?

No wait, it's quite obvious.

Well, it's not as though it matters to him, thought Lian Sheng as he simply opened a book to read, disregarding all the chaos ensuing around him.

"It's actually true!?"

"I'm from the same middle school as these two and I do recall that Zhang Yi and Lian Sheng used to get along really well before they came here."

"And wasn't it weird how Sheng Yue stopped hanging out with Zhang Yi the moment Lian Sheng and Cheng Yin started dating? So there really was a reason behind it."

"Damn, who would've thought Sheng Yue was this kind of person? I was foolish for being a fan of his till now."

"Right? I'll burn all the movies I bought that starred him. This kind of person does not deserve a place in my collections."

"Lian Sheng used to be really outgoing too, did he start to shut himself in after being betrayed so many times?"

Lian Sheng: ... (warding off various looks of sympathy as he turned a page)

"Lian Sheng, don't worry! Just tell us everything! We'll do as much as we can to help."

"That's right, we'll expose to the public just how much of a trash this Sheng Yue is!"

Lian Sheng: no, really, I'm fine...

The riot had grown way too large. Lian Sheng tried to concentrate but failed, so he finally spoke up:

"Look everyone, this is a private matter between me and my brother. We have resolved it already so it does not require anymore concern."

In other words: mind your own business and stop yelling around me.

But no one around him received this message. Countless pitying looks landed on Lian Sheng as he tries to appear as stoic as he can.

But those looks also caused some misunderstandings.

"How can he stay so strong? If it were me, I would have broke down already."

"He's too kind, look at him standing up for his ungrateful brother. Sob* If I were in his shoes I would have slapped Sheng Yue till his cheeks started flowering."

"Wait guy, here comes that piece of trash in question."

The moment those words died down, a familiar figure passes by the classroom window. Luo Nang could feel all those hostile looks directed to him through the wall so he got curious and peered in.

"Good morning?"