Chapter 37: the Jungle & the Fire

Recap

"...my gosh."

They needed to travel another day to see the Jungle, but there was a lot of black smoke approximately where the Jungle should be.

They could see some of the fire, as they are now on a clear plain.

Litana bit down on her lips. It was not because it was her land. It was because she was thinking about her family and her people who were still struggling because of the fire.

"Let's hurry."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She turned her head in order to look at Cale. This journey was probably difficult for this noble. She doesn't know of his origin, but the way he coughed out blood, popped into her mind. Yet he beckons her to move forward, without any tiredness in his voice.

"Yes. We will guide you from here."

Five of her subordinates stepped forward once she motioned. Litana was the vanguard. The head of a tribe always had to stand in the front.

"It might be a rough trip because we need to move as quickly as possible."

"That is fine."

It was a gentle, yet stern response.

"Let's go."

Litana started to walk instead of saying thank you. They headed towards the black smoke. After traveling for another day, the exhausted group could see the large fire right in front of their eyes.

To be specific, they could also see many tents surround the large fire. However, none of the members of this group paid any attention to them. Aside from the raven noble, who elbowed his guard, who took out that goblet with runes craved on it. As it cooled the place down from the unbearable heat of the flames.

The flame did make it difficult to breath, but the moment the cool air counter the heat, breathing became easier for everyone.

"that fire?"

The mage, Rosalyn, looked towards Litana's group and asked. Her eyes were shaking in disbelief.

It made sense.

It was currently raining right now. As the jungle was in the season where it would rain multiple times a day as they headed towards the summer. It was their rainy season. The sky was cloudy and it was raining.

However, the fire remained the same. It remained a source of light on the cloudy day.

That was the weirdness of this fire.

"Yes it is this one."

Litana looked towards the fire with a bitter smile. As it had been until now, the fire remained in Section 1 without moving at all.

"...The jungle is dying."

She could see Lock taking a step back.

She bit down on her lips. This scary natural disaster that was beyond human comprehension brought fear to everyone. Even the Southerners were too afraid to approach it and could only stay near the boundaries of the Jungle.

She turned to look towards Cale, who was quietly observing the fire. Would he still try to approach the fire after looking at how strong it was?

"Let's go. I think I will need to go as close as possible to the fire. I may even need to go past the boundary."