Chapter 116: Let it rain

"Yaaaawn, standing guard at night is the hardest thing to do."

"But isn't it better than fighting?"

"That is true."

Of the soldiers who were standing guard around the pillar of fire surrounding the Maple Castle, the ones facing the Whipper Kingdom's base on the East were chatting with each other in order to stay awake.

One of the soldiers looked toward the still brightly lit patient tent and started to speak.

"They are really good people."

"They are. Did they say they know the Commander-nim?"

"Yes. that seems to be the case. They said that they stopped by while they were traveling the continent to heal our injured."

The people that the soldiers were talking about were the 6 priests and 1 doctor.

"They are taking turns healing the patients starting tonight?"

"Yes. it must be hard for all of them to pull all-nighters last night."

"That makes sense. I'm really thankful for them. They're not getting anything out of this."

The soldier nodded his head at his friend's comment before looking back at the pillar of fire. The fire made it difficult to breathe if you approached it.

"Now, it would be great if we could do something about this fire -huh?"

The soldier looking at the pillar of fire flinched. There was a different noise in addition to his voice.

Craaackle.

It was the sound of fire burning. There was also a different noise.

Ruuuumble.

It was the noise you hear before a thunderbolt would strike.

The soldier raised his head.

It was the night of the new moon. However, the sky that used to still have bright stars had changed.

The sky was now covered in a black cloud, making them unable to see the stars.

Ruuuuumble.

The sound you hear before a thunderbolt strikes echoed in the soldier's ear again.

"Huh?"

And then, in the night sky...

Booooom!

There were flashes of light as an explosion occurred.

"W-what the!"

The soldier could see two people wearing black masks and black outfits getting surrounded by red light.

One of the two people who were standing above the pillar of fire started to shoot fireballs toward the sky.

Boom, boom!

The fireballs ran into each other and started to make noise.

"Hahaha~!"

They then heard loud laughter.

The soldiers started to speak to his friend.

"H, hey, hurry up and go report this!"

"I got it!"

The other soldier rushed toward the base. However, there was no need to do that.

Paat, pat.

Multiple tents started to turn bright. Then the chiefs and the soldiers started to come out of their tents. The soldier clenched onto his spear as he saw them coming out.