8: Discussions

I continue to walk through the trees and towards the road as Deck chases after me. "Dani, what are you doing?" he asks me as he grabs my arm to stop me. I look at him and take a deep breath. "Talk to me" he says lovingly as he wipes mud from my cheek. "I don't know what I'm doing Deck" I say simply as I look at the ground. "I love you and I don't want to see you get hurt. Or killed. But Dom and everyone else, they're my family. I'm caught in the middle and I don't know what to do" I explain as I begin to feel the emotions of the past day build up. I couldn't say all this to anyone else. Besides Mr Nobody and Letty, no one knows I love Deck. I've been keeping quiet to protect Deck and my relationship with Dom. "I know and I'm sorry. If I knew Toretto was your family, I'd like to think I'd do things differently but they hurt my brother Dani" he answers in defence. I feel like he doesn't think I understand that so I answer quickly. "I know Deck. I understand that, if someone hurt my family I'd wanna kill them too. This is all just an unfortunate coincidence" I reply with a sigh as I lean against a near by tree, finally relaxing.

Deck stands beside me, against the tree for a few seconds before lacing his hand with mine. I tighten my grip around his hand, remembering the feeling of his calloused hand. I don't know how long it'll be before I feel this again. Or if I'll even see him again. "I love you too" he says, referring to my earlier statement which causes me to smile. I look at him with a weak smile. "I need to go" I say as I stand and begin my journey to the road again. Deck walks beside me silently and I know he's trying to decide what to say or whether to say anything at all. I grab his hand again but don't say anything. What else was there to say? We couldn't resolve this ourselves and even if I convinced Deck to stop, Dom would still try to kill him to avenge Han.

"I hate this too you know" Deck says, breaking the silence. I look over at him to meet his sad eyes. "I know. Dom has been there for me a lot, I've known him for years but I love you. I don't want to see either of you hurt but I know I will and I don't look forward to it" I say as a tear runs down my cheek. Deck stops, causing me to stop as well. He pulls me into a hug and wraps his arms around my waist, holding me tight against his body. I wrap my arms around his neck and begin to sob into his shoulder. He rubs circles into my back to calm me down. There's nothing that he can say, he can't say he'll be ok because he doesn't know and neither do I. Not only am I worried about him and Dom but I'm terrified of what they might do to each other. How do I choose between the family I love and the man I've fallen in love with?

We pull apart when my sobs subside, he holds my face in his hands and wipes the tears from my cheeks. "Promise me you'll be careful" I ask with a shaky breath. His eyes soften at my request and he nods, "I promise". I kiss him lovingly and pull him into another hug. This time I remember every moment of it before we pull apart and walk separate ways.

As I'm walking along the road, Letty pulls up beside me with Brian in the passenger seat. "Get in" Brian says as he opens the window. I can tell by the way they both look at me that it's clear I've been crying. I did cry a little more as I walked along the road so I'm not surprised. I get into the back and lie down on the seats. "Are you ok?" Brian asks as he turns to look at me. "Super" I answer plainly while staring at the car ceiling. "Dom and Ramsey ok?" I ask. "They're both fine" Letty answers. I nod and relax a little more. "What happened?" she asks, looking at me through her wind mirror. "He saved me and then we talked and here I am" I respond, giving as little detail as possible as I try not cry again. "You fell in love with him didn't you?" Brian asks, causing me to look at him surprised. "I thought you did when you first talked about him, it's only become more clear since" he explains. "Does Dom know?" I ask worriedly. "No, he's too mad to notice it" Letty replies simply. "I fell in love with him before this Bri" I say, finally confiding in someone. I haven't felt like an outcast with Brian, he still treated me as he normally would. He nods in acknowledgment before the car falls silent.

"What do I do?" I ask, breaking the uncomfortable silence as I sit up. "The 2 people I love most are trying to kill each other and I can't stop either of them" I add as I throw my head into my hands. Brian suddenly climbs into the back seat with me and wraps and arm around my shoulders. "You fight for what you love" he answers simply. If only it was that easy. "When you love someone you fight for them, it doesn't mean you're betraying your family" he continues. "But Dom-" I start but he interrupts me. "He'll be mad but he'll see how happy you are and he'll get over it. Eventually" he explains. I nod in acknowledgment and relax into him. "Where are we going anyway?" I ask. "Abu Dhabi" Letty answers and they both explain what Ramsey told them.

On our journey to Mr Nobody's plane I think about what Brian said. Is it really that easy?