28: To Moscow

We reach a secluded street and Deck pulls over. "We've gotta lose the car" he says as he gets out. I shuffle over to his door and he offers me a hand. I take it and he helps me get out the car, we all start walking onto the streets and see news with mine, Deck and Hobbs' faces on the screen. We're now wanted all over the world. "Eteon, they're a secret tech cult with a mercenary army and plenty of dark money. And delusions of saving the world by augmenting the human race" Deck explains. "Apparently, they control the media as well" I add. Hobbs says that everyone believes Eteon's a myth. "I've seen first hand how real they are. If you don't fit into their plans, you've already dug your own grave" Deck replies and I look at him unsure, all this sounds above our paygrade.

Hobbs begins suggesting a plan and Deck starts arguing with him. "No, no, no. You don't get it, do you? Brixton's a tier 1 assassin, best I've ever seen. I know him, he ain't ever gonna stop until he gets that virus. Besides, that's my sister. Family business. Is your name Shaw? No. She's going nowhere with you" he tells Hobbs. "What about her? She's not a Shaw" Hobbs argues pointing at me and before I can answer Deck says "She's family", making me smile a little. "Either way, when it comes to the fate of the world, it becomes my business" Hobbs continues, insisting he's helping. "I don't care if she's your sister, that woman ain't going anywhere-" he adds when Hattie starts walking away. "Where are you going?" we all ask at once. "I'm going away. I don't have time for your alpha male shit right now. You're both idiots, you clearly can't work together and so you're absolutely useless to me" she says frustrated and I nod in agreement. "So I'm gonna go find the man who can help me get this thing out of my system. You coming?" she explains and then asks me. I look at Deck and start walking towards her, she needs all the help she can get. "You mean this man?" Hobbs shouts as we begin walking away. We discover where to find the scientist who developed the virus and make our way there.

We all gather in the scientist, Andreiko's lab and ask how to save Hattie. "There's 2 options and the first is easy" he says. "Go" Hobbs says. "Kill her" Andreiko says simply. "What?" I ask in disbelief. "And burn the body of course" he adds. "Of course" Hattie and Hobbs say sarcastically. "To ash" Andreiko adds again. "To ash" Deck repeats. "That's not an option for us" I say. "Ye that doesn't work for us. Option number 2" Hobbs demands. "There is a machine that can extract the virus and preserve her life" he explains and I frown in confusion. "That should've been option number 1" Hobbs questions. "It's impossible to get to" Andreiko debates. "We'll decide what's impossible" Deck states. "Where's the machine?" I ask determined. "It's in the Eteon laboratory where the virus was developed but if you all go there, all four of you will die" he answers. "So what you're saying is; she dies no matter what" Hobbs clarifies and I look at Deck's defeated face. We need a plan. "Well who needs a drink?" Hattie asks. Deck looks at me before saying "We know just the place".

We enter our safe house with Hobbs and Hattie behind us. Hobbs and Deck tease each other once again and Hattie and I give each other an unimpressed look. Hattie and I get a drink and Hattie gives one to Hobbs while Deck types on his computer, probably planning our next steps. Deck and Hobbs discuss, or more like argue a plan while Hattie and I relax on the sofa with our drinks. "So, you're the girlfriend?" Hattie asks. "Ye" I chuckle. "How long?" she asks. "We've been together for over 3 years, although he was in prison for about 1 year of it. But we've known each other for about 4 years" I answer, trying to simplify it as best I can. She nods at me with a smile before we get up and join the guys. "And there's the fact you disgraced MI6 when you betrayed your team" she adds to Hobbs' argument. I look at Deck sympathetically, he told me he was set up and he stayed away from his family to protect them. "Don't believe everything you hear" he replies before taking her picture. "We'll need to blend in" I state. "Hide in plain sight" Hattie adds. Deck explains that we'll be flying commercial to Moscow.

After Deck explains our new identities and gives us our change of clothes we leave for the airport. Hattie, Deck and I get through security but Hobbs is detained and Deck urges us to board the plane which I do reluctantly. "I can't believe you did that" Hattie says to my right. "Me neither" I mutter and Deck, who's sat on my left turns to us. "He was just gonna slow us down" he answers. Hattie starts telling Deck how crazy this plan is and Deck brings up their childhood. "You haven't changed" he says with a smile. "I wish I could say the same about you" she answers. "Hey, you're gonna be ok" Deck tells her assuringly. "What if the only option is to-" Hattie begins to ask but Deck and I both interrupt her. "That's not happening" we say. "Why are you so eager to save me?" she asks me. I smile, "Well for one, you're Deck's sister. And two, in the hour or so that I've known you, I've come to like you and I'd like to keep you around" I answer and she laughs at me and relaxes into her seat. I look at Deck to see him smiling at me, he kisses my cheek before Hobbs boards the plane.

Once Hobbs sits down, I yawn and Deck looks at me. "You should get some sleep" he says. "Ye" I sigh and lean my head on his shoulder and close my eyes. "I like her" I hear Hattie whisper to Deck and I smile.