33: Family Reunion

We arrive in Samoa after asking Dinkley for a ride, and Hobbs has told us his brother is the greatest mechanic he's ever met. He calls Dinkley to thank him and we all soon regret the decision when Dinkley starts rambling and telling us all his details. Deck takes the phone and makes it sound like we're breaking up and says "We're losing you" before throwing the phone out the window. "That was my phone" Hobbs states and Hattie and I chuckle in the back. "I hope this brother of yours is as good a mechanic as you say he is" Deck tells Hobbs. "Jonah is the best mechanic I know and he's gonna help us. That is if he doesn't kill me first" he replies as we pull up outside the house.

We all get out and watch Hobbs walk back and forth on the front porch. "Take your time, it's only my sister's life and the fate of the world we're waiting on" Deck shouts at him and I hit his arm, telling him to shut up. He looks at me a little shocked but leans against the car silently. Hobbs then walks up to the door, "Oh here we go" I say and stand in between Deck's legs and lean back against his chest as he wraps his arms around my waist. "Bet you 50 quid he punches him in the face" Deck says to Hattie and she answers "Deal". I chuckle at them and rest my hands on Deck's, that are on my stomach. A man answers the door and says something to Hobbs before punching him in the face. Hobbs goes tumbling down the steps and onto the ground. "See it's not just me" Deck whispers in my ear and I lean my head back with a smile. "You're such a child" I whisper back and he kisses my cheek.

"Your face, it's all over the bloody news boy. You're not welcome here police. You got a bloody cheek, coming here after 25 years, bringing your problems here to this house. You betrayed our family, bring shame on our house. You betrayed your own blood!" Jonah yells at Hobbs while we watch quietly. "Jonah, I hear you. But we ain't kids anymore, you better watch how you talk to me" Hobbs warns. "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, boy. It's the size of the fight in the dog" Jonah states angrily. "No, it's always the size of the dog" Hobbs argues before a shoe hits Jonah in the head. I cover my mouth quickly to stop the laugh from escaping my lips and Deck chuckles against my ear. "Hey, no fighting under this roof!" the woman yells, holding another shoe over her head. "Is that my Luke? " she asks when she sees Hobbs standing beside Jonah. "My baby's home" she adds with a genuine smile. "Hey Mama" Hobbs says, looking at his feet as if he's in trouble or ashamed.

Once we enter the house, everyone gathers around a table. "I miss my baby boy. But look at you, all skin and bones. Come here and eat something" she says to Hobbs, gesturing to the food on the table. "No, no, no Mama. There's no time. I'm sorry, I didn't want to bring trouble here" Hobbs starts, the sincerity is clear in his voice. "You should've stayed away!" Jonah yells at him. "What did you bring here? What's going on?" he asks. "I brought the truth here" Hobbs starts as he steps towards Jonah. "The truth is we were set up, we were framed by people who created a deadly virus. It could go global if it's not stopped. We could all die, all of us. Everybody on the island, everybody around the world" he explains as he gestures towards Hattie, Deck and I standing to the side in silence. "Jonah, I need you to help fix this machine. I need you to help my friends and I need us to build defences around here now" he begs. Jonah starts yelling at Hobbs again and walks towards Hobbs. I sigh in defeat as I realise we aren't gonna convince him to help us. Deck looks at me before stepping forward.

"Listen, I know your brother's hard to be around, believe me. But I trust him and he brought us here because this place has something that nowhere else on the planet does. You" he says to Jonah and I smile at the sentiment. "You don't know me! I don't know you!" Jonah yells at Deck and steps towards him, causing me to step forward to defend Deck if I have to. "Time for you all to go. Take your machine with you. Go! Now!" Jonah yells at us and tries ushering us out the door. I take Decks hand as I stand beside him and he looks at me assuringly. "Jonah Hobbs!" Hobbs' mother yells as she stands and everyone stops what they're doing. She clearly has a lot of authority. "Have some respect for your uso. If he needs anything we gonna give it to him. The food off our tables, the clothes off our backs. Even the manner of the island. And you boys, all you boys show our guest respect or so help me. I'm gonna take this here slipper and I'm gonna sasa you big fat heads" she yells at all the boys in the room. "I'm sorry to bring this here Mama" Hobbs apologises. "Luke, this is your home. We Samoan's we can handle trouble" she tells him with a grin.

While Hobbs and Hattie walk through the garage, Hobbs' mother gives Deck and I a change of clothes and shows us where we can change. "This is all insane" I say as I remove my shirt. "I know, but we got this" Deck assures me and he removes his shirt. "Did you mean it? Before" I ask. "Mean what?" he asks as he changes his trousers. "When you said we're the Shaw family and included me. Do you consider me a Shaw?" I elaborate. He smiles as he walks towards me and wraps his arms around my bare waist. "Every word" he says and kisses me and I smile into the loving kiss.