20: Gone

I unbuckle myself and land on my car roof and start to crawl out of my smashed window when Deck appears in front of me. "You ok?" he asks as he gives me his hand. I take it willingly, "I'm getting deja vu" I say with a laugh, thinking about when we first met and he laughs back. I see Dom grab the case and make a run for it, I nod at Deck and he lets me go and runs after him. I climb to my feet and run just a few seconds behind him. I run around the corner to see Dom pointing a gun at Deck and I feel my stomach drop. "They thought this was gonna be a street fight" Dom says. "Dom! Don't!" I yell as I run towards them to try and save Deck. "What are you waiting for Toretto?" Deck challenges. "Dom!" I yell as the fear grows within me. I'm just a few feet from them when Dom pulls the trigger twice and Deck falls to the ground. "No!" I scream and I run to Deck's side. I roll Deck a little so I can see his face and I hold it in my trembling hands. "Deck. Deck, look at me" I cry as the tears fall down my face. "Deck, don't leave please. I love you" I sob and for the first time, I don't hear him say it back. He remains completely still and Dom just watches me sob. Dom runs after Letty when she takes the case but I stay beside Deck's lifeless body. "You promised" I sob as I stroke his cheek with my thumb. "You promised everything would be fine" I continue as I touch my forehead to his.

"Danielle, we've gotta go" Hobbs says behind me. I shake my head, "No, I won't leave him" I sob. "You have to" he repeats and touches my shoulder. I shake him off and hold Deck close to me as I cry. Before I know it Hobbs has lifted me off the floor while muttering an "I'm sorry" and is running away with me over his shoulder. "No! Hobbs let me go! No! Deck!" I cry until we're around a corner and I can't see Deck anymore. I eventually stop fighting Hobbs and just cry on his shoulder. Deck's gone. Dom killed him. After trying to stop them from killing each other over a year ago, now Dom has killed Deck. He's gone. Once we're far enough away from the police Hobbs lowers me to the ground while I'm still sobbing. He puts his hands on my shoulders. "Danielle" he says softly and I lift my head slowly to meet his eyes. He clearly doesn't know what to say and I just break down again. He wraps me in a hug and he starts walking, keeping one arm around me as I cry unstoppably.

Once we reach the garage, I've stopped sobbing but I'm still crying silently as the tears run down my face uncontrollably. Every time I think I've stopped I think of Deck again and I break down again. I walk away from Hobbs and sit on some steps silently. Everyone looks at my tear stained face and the new tears falling. Letty enters the garage with a defeated look on her face and normally I would comfort her but I can't bring myself to do anything. I keep thinking about Deck. She comes and sits beside me but doesn't say a word. I look at her sadly and she looks at me and says "I know" before giving me a hug. I sob on her shoulder, she must've seen me with Deck when she took the case from Dom. We pull away and we just sit next to each other while I quietly cry and she sits in thought.

Little Nobody enters and has a short discussion with Hobbs about Dom and the nuclear football along with the EMP he acquired less than a week ago. "Deck?" I ask, speaking for the first time since Hobbs pulled me from his body. I look at him when he's silent for a few seconds. "He didn't make it" he answers with a sorrowful look. I take a shaky breath before more tears fall and Letty rests a hand on my back. Hearing someone say that he's gone makes it so much more real. Hobbs stands from where he's sitting and starts pacing before he punches a container and causes a dent in anger. We all look at him shocked. "I need some air" I whisper as I stand and make my way outside.

I step outside and lean over the railing before throwing up. I cough a little once I'm done and then sit against the wall. I start sobbing uncontrollably again. After a few minutes, I steady my breathing and calm down a little. I pull out my phone and call Deck's number, I guess a part of me hopes he'll answer but it goes to voicemail. 'Hey, it's Deckard Shaw. Leave a message and I'll call you back when I want' he says and I smile at his voice. A voice I'll never get to hear again besides his voicemail message. I never got any voicemails from him because I always answered his calls and I never heard his voicemail because he always answered mine. I cry as I listen to his familiar voice and can only wish that I could hear it in person and feel him grab my hand or wrap his arms around me again.

When I re-enter the garage, the tears have stopped falling but my cheeks are stained by the ones I've continuously shed over the past half hour. I take a seat beside Letty again and we all remain in silence. "Can you pull up the footage of the guy in the alley?" Letty asks Ramsey and Tej. They use traffic cams to get a picture of the guy on the screen. "I knew it. I recognise that guy. That's Connor Rhodes, I met him when I was working with Shaw's brother" she explains and I feel my eyes fill with tears at Deck's name. "He wanted us to steal the nightshade device for him" she continues. They also connect Rhodes to Mose Jakandae and we discover that Dom has interfered with Cipher's business twice.