24: Wounded

Deck and I have been living in London for almost 2 years. We've occasionally been on missions, both in London and outside of London. I'm in our apartment while Deck is on a mission south of London, in Brighton. He told me he'd be back by tomorrow morning but not to wait up for him. I sit on the sofa watching a tv series when I hear a bang against the door. I instantly mute the tv so I can hear the door better. I then hear someone attempting to unlock it so I grab my gun and hold it towards the door as I walk towards it. The door eventually swings open and Deck stumbles through and to the floor, clutching his abdomen. "Deck? Are you ok?" I ask worriedly as I kneel beside him and push the door shut. He falls on his side with his hand still against his abdomen. I lift his hand slightly and see it covered in blood. I grab a cloth off the kitchen counter and move his hand and place the cloth over the wound, putting pressure on it. He groans in pain, "I know, just hang on" I say assuringly but he just groans in response. "Deck, look at me" I tell him and he looks at me with a grunt. "You're gonna be ok. I promise" I say and touch his face. He nods his head before trying to take a deep breath. I move his hand onto the cloth, "Keep pressure here, I'm gonna get the first aid kit" I tell him and run into our bathroom.

I get back to Deck with the first aid kit in hand. I remove his hand and cloth to see his blood stained button shirt. I undo the buttons to see his chest and stomach. I use some bandages from the kit to wipe the blood from his stomach and see a gash across it but it doesn't look deep. I apply pressure to it again and he continues to groan in pain. "I'm sorry" I mutter as I apply more and more pressure to it to stop the bleeding. He places his hands on top of mine, assuring me it's ok. We'd both been in this position before, rushing home to the other for them to help us with our wounds before they become severe. Most of the time they aren't life threatening but we've still received severe wounds like gunshot or stab wounds. This is why our first aid kit is more advanced than most first aid kits, it includes a lot more supplies since we take care of each other more often than we go to the hospital.

Deck starts to lose consciousness due to the loss of blood but I try to keep him awake. "Deck, stay awake for me ok. Please" I beg him as I check his wound to see if it's still bleeding. Luckily it has stopped, which means I can start stitching it. "Deck stay awake, please. Just a little longer" I beg him as I see him close his eyes. He doesn't open them again and I begin to worry some more. At times like these you have to remain calm so I take a deep breath and start to stitch his wound. For Deck's sake, it's probably good that he's unconscious because he doesn't have to deal with the pain of me stitching the wound without any painkillers.

Once I finish stitching the wound, I check Deck's pulse and it's a little faint but it'll get stronger over the next few hours. I wrap a bandage around his abdomen to cover the healing wound. I look at him, unconscious on our floor, I need to get him to the sofa at least. I pull his arms out of his shirt sleeves and start dragging him to the sofa. At least when I'm the wounded one he can lift me effortlessly but I can't lift him. I eventually reach the sofa and manage to get him onto it. I place a blanket over him since it's easier than trying to put a shirt on him. "You're gonna be ok" I say as I sit beside him and hold his hand for a few minutes before starting to clean up. I throw his shirt in the bin and start cleaning the blood off the floor and washing my hands and putting the first aid kit back in the bathroom.

I sit on the floor beside the sofa and watch him, checking his pulse every few minutes and it does gradually get steadier and faster which is a good sign. A very good sign. He sleeps through the rest of the day and all through the night. I stay awake most of the night in case he wakes up but eventually I just fall asleep with my head resting beside his hip. I wake from a touch on my cheek and I open my eyes to see Deck looking at me. I'm instantly wide awake and sitting up straight. "Are you ok? How do you feel?" I ask as I take his hand. He smiles back at me, "I'm ok, thank you" he answers me with a weak and tired smile. I sigh in relief and relax against the sofa. "I'm sorry I scared you" he says. "It's ok" I reply. We just stare at each other for a few seconds before I say "You should get some rest". He nods at me, "As long as you do too. You look exhausted" he tells me. I raise my brows at him, "You're one to talk" I answer with a smile. He gives me a tired laugh, "How much have you slept?" he asks me seriously. "I don't know" I answer. He shuffles on the sofa slightly and gestures for me to lie next to him. I give him an unimpressed look, he's just had stitches done and he wants us both to squeeze onto the sofa. "It's ok, come on" he says and lifts the blanket. I climb in beside him gently and he pulls me into his chest. "See, it's ok" he says before we both fall asleep instantly.