Chapter Four: Childhood

Shota's pov:

I spotted Meliodas and Zeldris as they made their way to the table and sat down.

"Thanks for the food"  Hizashi and I said at the unison. The kids looked confused, something that they seem to be quite often, but shrugged and started eating although they didn't seemed to be hungry at all.

We ate in a strangely comfortable silence, which was unusual considering Hizashi's loud nature. Earlier that day I phoned him to tell him about the kids and told him to not ask much. After all I saw through the hospital's cameras how Zeldris had a panic attack although I don't know why because they were talking in a weird language. After the call Hizashi prepared their room, brought more food and clothes for them.

As soon as the two were done, they excused themselves and left to their room.

"I wonder what happened to them" Hizashi said surprisingly quiet. Probably so they couldn't hear.

"So do I. But whatever it was, it was pretty bad" I said as quietly.

I looked at my husband, he was eyeing the hallway that led to the boy's room with an unusual sad expression.

"Let's not push it though. They'll need time" I finished saying.

_______________________________________

No one's pov:

They didn't go to their room. Rather they silently scouted the house until they found a basement. Curiously stepping inside and going down the stairs.

In there, there was a whole freaking training room. (it was a gym) Like kids in a toy store their eyes shining with excitement looking at each other with big smiles on their faces and then eyeing everything in the room, looking at the machines with curiosity touching every button until it worked. Only stopping when they reached the weights.

Taking a closer look they noticed numbers written in them.

"Search for the heaviest!" Said-ordered Meliodas to his brother.

"You don't need to tell me!" Argued Zeldris.

"100!"

"200!"

"600! This one is the heaviest!" Meliodas called out while motioning with his left hand for Zeldris to get closer. The latter walked over to his brother.

Meliodas did some stretching exercises before reachind down the weight. As soon as the object left the floor Meliodas' face changed from the previous excitement to disappointment, lifting the weight with way too much ease.

"This can't possibly be the heaviest..." He knew humans were weaker but this was simply absurd for the demon.

"Let me try!" Meliodas left the weight on the floor.

"All yours" The blond said taking a step back and motioning towards the weight with both hands for Zeldris to lift it.

Zeldris stepped forward lifting the weight and-

"You can't be serious" He said while flexing his arm repeatedly, his disappointment mirroring that of his brother.

Meliodas brought his hand to brush an imaginary beard thinking of what to do.

"Ah!" He exclaimed while clapping his hands together "I have an idea!" A mischievous smile formed in his face while looking at his brother.

_______________________________________

Shota's pov:

Hizashi and I were having a simple talk after the kids left, but the peaceful moment was interrupted when we heard loud crashes coming from the basement. Worried we stood up and ran downstairs in search of the origin just to end up frozen by the sight before us.

We found the two kids laying on the floor with a dangerous amount of our heaviest weights on top of them. But the weirdest thing was that they were dying of laughter? Meliodas still laughing managed to easily. How? Move the weights away and set the two free.

"What happened here?" The previous concerns turned to confusion.

"We were- we were- pffft hahaha!" Zeldris tried but failed to explain. They kept on laughing for minutes holding their stomachs when they began hurting for the lack or air, and only when Zeldris' laughter died enough for him to speak, although Meliodas' continued, he tried to explain again while removing tears from his eyes with his index finger.

"We were testing the weights until Meliodas had a wOnDeRfuL idea- hahaha" Zeldris stopped explaining and burst into laughter again.

"We built a pyramid with them and Zeldris climbed it!" Meliodas said like it was the most normal thing in the world to get crushed by dozens of weights and laugh about it as he regained his breath but his voice still filled with amusement.

What did I just got myself into?

_______________________________________

That night I woke up for some reason around four in the morning. I stood up making my way to the kitchen to get a glass of water but when I walked outside the kids room I stopped. I moved closer to the door putting an ear against it, I recognized the sound of heavy breaths muffled more than just by the walls, whoever he was probably held a hand in his mouth.

"Brother?" I could tell it was Zeldris' voice sounding worried. A slow shuffle followed the concerned call. Then another shuffle but rougher and a gasp of surprise.

"Brother...?" Zeldris again, the concern in his voice growing far greater than before.

"Just a dream... He's not here... You are ok... You are ok...." Meliodas whispered like a broken record, his voice hurt and scared.

"So father huh?" Zeldris said after long seconds, his voice soft and reassuring. Their father? Could it be...? Meliodas sucked in a deep shaky breath, then another until they became more steady.

"Yeah..." I could hear the shuffling again and a soft sniff "Sorry for waking you Zel..." Said the older sounding far too exhausted.

"Don't be" I could practically hear the soft smile in his face "We've got plenty of reasons to fear him. Especially you brother"

So I was right... I don't understand how such bad people exist and I can only imagine why those kids that are strong enough to mess around with a 600 pounds weight fear him. As non heroic as it sound I'm glad he's dead for hurting my new sons.

Realizing I heard more than I should have, I continued my way to the kitchen practically fuming, poured me a glass of water, swallowed it in one go and returned to bed wishing that whoever their father was, he was burning in hell.

This one was shorter sorry! 🙏