Chapter 2 : Bad Neighbourhood

ELSA'S POV

After about 5 minutes they finally let go of me, then I was able to look them in the face to see it was my sister Anna. Then I felt a light slap on my face...

" Elsa Winters! Don't you ever do that again! You scared me half to death! " Anna shouted with a hint of sadness in her voice. I could tell she was mad enough to hit me harder, and I definitely deserved it, but she didn't want to. Man... Did I ever feel bad... I forgot that I told Anna that I would be home early last night.

" I'm so sorry Anna- " I started.

" You can apologize later, let's get out of here, " Anna said, " That police officer is giving me the creeps, " she said the last part under her breath while doing a little shiver.

I let a small laugh escape and said, " Agreed, " as Anna and I hurried out the door.

We started walking down the street, both of us silent, when I remembered something, " Anna, where on Earth did you get 10,000 dollars! " I questioned as I pulled her to a stop.

" Oh, so you heard that, " she said while she looked nervously around the street.

" Of course I did, you practically yelled it, did you think you could keep it a secret? "

" Well, no. I was gonna tell you, but... after I paid the money back, " she said the last part really fast with hope that I didn't hear it.

" Anna! You borrowed 10,000 dollars! How did you ever think you could pay that off!?! "

" Well... I don't know! I did for you! I couldn't have just sat by while you rotted in prison! "

" Okay, but you still shouldn't have done that, I would have been fine. "

She started to tear up, " I'm so sorry Elsa! I just... just... I was just so scared, and we live in a really bad neighbourhood, " by now tears were streaming down her face.

I pulled her into a hug, " It's okay Anna, I would have done the same for you, " she looked up at me and I smiled, " Let's just go home. "

We started walking home, we didn't say much. As we approached our apartment building, I looked around in disgust, it was a really bad neighbourhood, but we couldn't afford anything better. There was trash cans overflowing with garbage, and a couple people going through them, creepy people who seem to be constantly smoking, and rats scurrying through the alleyways in front of our door.

I unlocked the door and started climbing the stairs, with Anna close behind me.

Anna still goes to school, while I mostly ride the subways, waiting for the opportune moment to pickpocket someone who wasn't paying attention. I would keep any cash I stole, but passports, drivers licenses, and other valuable things that I had no use for I would bring to the UTM.

I stopped at the 5th floor and walked to the end of the hallway to get to apartment 56B. Home, sweet home, I thought sarcastically. I walked in and plopped down on the couch. The old springs made a horrible squeaking noise, but I was used to it.

" So Anna... Who did you borrow this money from? The usual street loaners would never give you 10,000 dollars, no matter how well we know them, " I questioned.

" Well... I didn't exactly know the person, " she replied.

" What!?! Anna! You can't borrow 10,000 dollars from someone you don't know! They could be dangerous! "

" I know, I'm sorry! But I didn't have any other option! "

Realizing I flew off the handle a bit, I took a deep breath, I wasn't mad at Anna, this was my fault, " It's okay, this isn't your fault... It's mine, just tell me the name of the person you borrowed the money from. "

" His name was Hans. "