Chapter 22 : Escape

ELSA'S POV

I felt a wave of relief when Hans crumbled to the ground.

Jack picked his gun off the floor, I was just about to say thanks when he pointed the gun directly at me.

" Jack, what are you doing? " I asked, gulping.

He didn't respond, but his look of completely not caring kinda hurt.

He aimed and I shut my eyes knowing this is the end.

He shot twice and I screamed. I felt light headed, but there was almost no pain.

My knees felt weak and gave out, but I didn't hit the floor.

I felt two strong arms around me instead of the ground. I opened my eyes to see Jack looking at me with concern in his eyes.

" Are you okay? " he asked me.

Completely confused I looked down at my torso and saw no bullet holes.

" You shot, you shot- " I stuttered.

" The guards, " he finished and smiled.

I matched his smile, " I thought you were going to shot me, " I said.

" Now does sound like me? " he said as he helped me up, " We should probably get out of here. "

" Yeah, " I agreed.

Jack lifted up the back of his shirt and placed the gun in the waistband of his jeans.

" Wait, if we're here anyway, " he said and a grin spread across his face.

He went to the wall and started taking off the pictures, until he found a safe behind one.

He started cracking open the safe and within a couple minutes he had it open.

He grabbed a gun and tossed it to me, I caught it and used the handle to knock out Hans, who was just starting to regain consciousness.

Jack took another gun and a couple stacks of hundred dollar bills. He closed the safe and placed the picture back into the original position.

We ran out of the office together and started down the hall.

Guards started running towards us, but we easily overpowered them.

We got to the end of the end of the hall and Jack went to open the door to the stairs.

" What are you waiting for? "I asked him.

" It's locked, " he said, " We'll have to go down the other stairs. "

We turned around to go the other way, but then we heard what sounded like dozens of guards coming down the hallway.

Jack pulled me into a side office, shut the door and turned off the lights, leaving us in complete darkness.

" Jack? Where are you? " I asked, sticking my hands in front of me so I didn't run into anything.

" Right here, " he said grabbing my hand that I was waving around, " We have to keep going. "

I nodded even though he couldn't see me and we walked to the other side of the room.

Jack started to open the blinds to the windows, he got to the last window on the left and opened the blinds.

" Elsa, come here, " he said and I jogged over to where he was.

I looked out of the window and I could see most of the city.

There was a second level to the building and the roof was a story or two below us.

" Okay, once we break the window we don't have much time, are you ready? " Jack said grabbing a metal chair from a desk.

I took a deep breath, " Ready, " I said.

With barely a pause Jack slammed the chair against the window, it didn't break, but it did crack. He took a second swing at it and the window scattered into thousands of pieces onto the roof below.

I started to climb out the window while Jack pointed his gun towards the door.

I stood on the window sill and immediately regretted my decision, but knew I could turn back.

Slowly, I lowered myself down the ledge and tried to find the window sill below with my feet. I couldn't find it so I looked down.... bad idea. The ledge was about three feet down and I wasn't about to jump.

Jack climbed out the window and joined me on the window sill, only he had no problem and just dropped down to the ledge below.

" Elsa, come on just let go, " he said, trying to encourage me.

" I can't, what if I fall, " I said.

" I'm right here I'll help you, but you have to let go now. "

I took a deep breath and let go, I landed the end of my feet on the ledge and started to fall backwards, but Jack grabbed my arm and pulled me into a standing position.

" Wow, that wasn't so bad, " I said and Jack smiled.

We were able to jump the last distance to the roof and then went down a ladder attached to the side of the building.

We went back to the coffee shop to rejoin everyone, but when we got there no one was there.

" That's weird, " Jack said, " I told them to wait right here. "

" Hey! " said a voice behind us, " Are you Elsa? "

I turned around to see the man behind the counter talking to us.

" Yeah? " I responded.

" Your friends left and told me to give you this, " he said handing me an envelope.

" Thanks, " I said as I grabbed the letter and opened it.

Dear Elsa,

I warned you about what would happen.

Love Hans

The letter was short, but it made think back to when he threatened Anna.

" I have to go, " I said rushing out of the store.

Jack caught up to me, " Elsa, what's wrong? "

" It's Anna, Rapunzel and Astrid, Hans took them, he took them, " I said trying to keep it together.

" It's okay, we'll get them back, " Jack reassured.

" How can you be so sure? " I asked.

" Don't worry, I've dealt with things like this before, " he answered.

" You have? " I questioned, not fully believing him.

" Yep, I'm a professional, " he said grinning at me, and starting to walk away.

I rolled my eyes and followed him.