Chapter 40 : Gone

FLYNN'S POV

My eyes opened.

My sleep was interrupted by a disturbance in the hall below Rapunzel and I.

I blinked a couple of times, trying to wake up.

I was leaning in the corner of the door and the wall.

Rapunzel had fallen asleep leaning on me, I held her back so I could slowly move out from under her, without waking her up.

I placed her back down on the step and creeped down the stairs to see what was going on.

Two people were having a heated discussion, while trying to keep their voices down, if one said something a little too loud then they other would shush them.

I glanced at Rapunzel, she was still sleeping, so I turned the corner of the stairs to be able to hear what was going on.

" I'm not lying! " one exclaimed.

" Even if you're not, what are we supposed to do about it? "

" We should call the cops before they wake up! "

" Shhhh! " One hushed, " If you keep talking that loud they are going to wake up. "

Are they talking about us? I wondered.

" I'm absolutely positive, he's the guy I saw on the news, he's a wanted criminal! "

" If you're one hundred percent sure, then you should call. "

I gulped, they were definitely talking about me, the Stabbington Brothers probably sold me out to the cops, when I ditched them after the jewellery store.

As quietly as I could I went back up the stairs to Rapunzel.

" Wake up, " I whispered, gently shaking her.

She mumbled as her eyes fluttered open.

" Good morning, " she said with a smile across her face.

I couldn't help but smile back, " Come on, we have to go, " I replied helping her to her feet.

She nodded and turned to go down the stairs, I grabbed her hand, to stop her, " We have to go up, " I said.

I opened the door to the roof and pulled her with me.

We were greeted with a cool breeze, it was still dark outside, so we must've only slept for an hour or so.

I looked around the roof, it was small but there were neighbouring buildings about a foot or two away, I could see that the one beside us had a fire escape and chose that one.

I could hear sirens in the far distance, " Okay, we are going to have to jump, " I told her.

She looked at me like I was crazy, " What?! Are you insane? I can't jump that! "

" Yes you can, " I reassured her, " The cops are on their way here, the Stabbington Brothers sold me out. "

" Bu- but I can't. "

" It's only a small jump, I'll go first and then you just follow me, I won't let you fall okay? "

She nodded her head, but her facial expression didn't match.

I went to the side of the building and looked down, it was a four story drop, but I wasn't about to tell her that.

I backed up so I could get a running start.

I took five long strides before I pushed myself into the air.

I easily cleared the gap and landed on the roof, I turned around and looked at Rapunzel.

She had an uneasy look on her face, " Don't worry, you'll be fine, just don't look down. "

She backed up to about where I went, took a deep breath and started her run.

Just before she got to the edge she tensed, she stopped her feet and skidded to the ground a couple inches from the edge.

" I'm sorry, I can't! " She exclaimed, " Just go on without me, they don't want me. "

" Actually, people in the building saw you with me, they probably think you're my accomplice. " I explained to her.

The sirens were getting closer she had to jump now.

" I'm not going to leave without you, you can do this, don't think, just jump. "

She looked scared, but started to back up, I could barely hear her when she whispered, " Don't let me fall. "

She took a deep breath and ran at top speed towards the edge, this time she didn't hesitate and jumped.

She landed on the edge of the building and opened her eyes, " That wasn't so bad, " she said smiling, but then she turned her head and looked down.

Her knees buckled and she screamed as she lost her balance, I immediately grabbed her hands before her feet slipped.

I used my strength to pull her back up, she helped by pushing off the wall with her feet.

I pulled her over the ledge and she fell on top of me.

She hugged me as a tear ran down her cheek.

" Hey, it's okay, " I said returning her hug.

She sat up and I followed, " I know, I- I'm just kind of scared of heights, " she told me.

" Well, we'll have to work on that, but we have to go now, " I said standing up and helping her to her feet.

I held her hand as I pulled her into the direction of the fire escape, we climbed down as the cops arrived on the other side of the building next to us.

I pulled her into an alley and we escaped as they searched the building.

We continued with a light jog until we reached the hospital about 20 minutes later.

We rushed into the ER as Jack was talking with the rest of the group.

" Flynn! Where have you been? " Merida asked as everyone turned to look at us.

" Umm, we had a little run in with some old friends, " I said nervously as I rubbed the back of my neck.

" Let me guess, the Stabbington Brothers? " Jack asked.

" Maybe, " I said not wanting him to be right.

Rapunzel nudged me with her elbow and rolled her eyes, " Yeah it was them, anyway how is Elsa? "

" She's going to be fine, Anna and Kristoff are upstairs with her right now, she just needs to recover, " Jack told us.

Rapunzel let out a sigh of relief and smiled, " That's great. "

Just then a nurse burst into the waiting room, " Are you Elsa's friends? "

We nodded our heads and waited for her to continue.

" She's gone, " she said, " Everyone's gone. "