Chapter 54 : Shattered Glass

JACK'S POV

Pitch pulled the trigger, but instead of a gun shot there was a click. I quickly turned around and hit the gun out of his hand. I knew that a revolver only held six bullets and he had just run out.

He was completely shocked as my fist met his jaw and he stumbled backward. I hit him again and again, as he continued to stumble. It was clear that his mind was not able to understand what was happening and it got more scrambled the more I hit him.

Pitch was leaning up against the window as I gave him a powerful kick in the stomach. The glass shattered behind him and he went tumbling through the window frame. 

I realized what I had done and desperately reached for Pitch as he fell just out of my reach. I made eye contact with him one last time and for the first time saw complete fear. 

It was over in an instant, Pitch fell to the ground hitting the sidewalk below with such force that I could hear the crunch of his bones snapping on impact.

I- I- I killed Pitch Black. 

I couldn't move a muscle in my body and my brain couldn't comprehend what I had just done, I just stood there and stared at his lifeless body five floors below.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, I would've flinched but my body wouldn't let me. 

" Jack, " I heard Elsa's soft voice behind me, " Step away from the window. "

I tried to do what she said, but I couldn't.

The only reason I began to move backwards was because Elsa had grabbed my hand and started to pull me away from the ledge. 

" What have I done? " I whispered.

" You saved us, " Elsa answered, " He wouldn't have stopped until all of us where dead. "

" But I don't feel like a hero, " I responded. 

HICCUP'S POV

I heard the window shatter and looked over the couch just quick enough to see Pitch fall out into the alley below.

I quickly turned my attention back to Astrid whose eyes were starting to roll back into her head.

" Hey, hey, hey, " I said as I gently tapped her cheek, " Stay with me. "

Her eyes fluttered back open but they only remained half open. 

" It's going to be okay, " I told her as my eyes started to swell up, " You're going to be okay. "

She smiled at me, " Don't lie to me, I just want you to know that I love you. "

Her words shocked me for a moment, but I tried to return her smile, " I love you too. "

Her smile grew even more, forcing her eyes shut. But then her smile faded and her eyes didn't open again.

" Astrid, " I said shaking her a bit, " Don't do this, you can't leave me. "

But this time she didn't open her eyes again, they remained closed and I couldn't stop the tears from streaming down my face.

Elsa appeared around the corner of the couch and fell down to the ground beside me.

" No, no, no, this can't be happening, " She said as she grabbed Astrid's limp hand. 

What happened next seemed like a blur, police came in, someone lifted me up and pulled me away from her. I wanted to scream 'NO!' and demand not to be moved from her side but my body was to weak to fight back.

It had all happened so fast. And then it was all over even faster.