Chapter 28 : Genuine?

ELSA'S POV

I glared at Pitch, but he didn't do anything.

The Stabbington Brothers and their gang were long gone, so it is just him and I alone.

He slowly put away the knife he was holding, and I instantly felt a wave of relief.

But I still couldn't help being terrified, this legend guy fought off a whole gang just to get to me.

It continued to pour, but I was so wet I didn't even notice the rain anymore.

I flinched when he actually moved, he walked up so he was only a few inches away from me.

Then he slowly raised his hands to his head and pushed the black cloak off.

I didn't look, instead I kept my eyes shut and my head down.

He put two fingers underneath my chin and lifted my head to see his.

I was completely surprised when I looked up into the familiar face of...

Jack

I threw my hands around his neck and embraced him in a hug.

I felt his strong arms wrap around me and for that moment I forgot all about all my problems.

And then I remembered something...

Smack! I slapped him across the face as hard as I could.

He didn't complain at all and just seemed to take it, like he knew he deserved it, which he did.

" Okay, I just need to explain something, " He said.

I looked at him, " No, " I said as I started to turn around.

" That wasn't a question, " He said, grabbing my wrist so I couldn't leave, " It wasn't me who burned down your house, it was Hans. When the guy from the police station told me too, I refused. Hans on the other hand didn't seem as objective as I did. When I saw that Hans was considering it I got myself out of there. I got into the Subway Station and found a pay phone and called the police about the fire, but I guess it was already to late. "

Once he finished he looked down, I was starting to tear up from just the mention of the fire. I let out a huge sigh, I didn't  want to be mad at Jack and now I didn't have too.

I felt bad that I didn't let him finish earlier, but I noticed that something was bothering him.

" What's the matter? " I asked, trying to get him to look at me.

" It's nothing, " He said still refusing to make eye contact.

I took his head in my hands and forced him to look at me, " Jack, tell me, " I said.

He sighed, " Really Elsa, it's nothing, I was just thinking about something. "

I rolled my eyes, seeing right through him, " It's not nothing, tell me, you'll feel better if you talk about it, " I said, starting to get a little worried.

" Are you sure you want to know? " He asked.

I nodded and led his hands in mine.

" Okay, so after everything with Hans, I went home, things went back to normal, but I stopped talking to Hans and he pretty much acted like I was invisible, not that I really cared. But then in my senior year I was invited to a party, supposedly everyone was going to be there, so I decided I would go. But when I got there I had realized I'd gotten the wrong address because no one was there. " Jack stopped for a second, the storm around us was starting to settle down, but it continued to rain.

I waited patiently for him to continue, I wanted him to tell me when he was ready.

" I heard someone call my name and turned to look, I saw Hans, he told me it was too late for my family, and that I was paying the price I deserved. I immediately rushed home, but when I got there Hans was right, I was too late... The whole house was gone with no traces of any of my family, after that I've lived on my own, trying to make a living, " As he finished I tried my hardest not to let the tears escape that were threatening to fall.

I didn't even realize that I was covering my mouth with my hands, " Are you telling me that because you didn't help Hans they killed your family? " I asked, I couldn't believe how heartless Hans truly was.

He nodded, " I'm so sorry, " I said, I couldn't help but feel that it was my fault.

" No, it's not your fault, I should have never went to the alley that day, " Jack said, " Now, lets go inside and dry off, " he said, smiling trying to lighten the mood.

We headed back to his house and I kept my hand in his.

ANNA'S POV

I got back to the cell and the guards pushed me in.

And me not being the most graceful person tripped over the air and I struggled to keep my balance.

I flew in and ran directly into Kristoff.

He caught me with ease and helped me back into a standing position.

Before I could say thanks, Rapunzel tackled me in a hug.

" Anna! You're alive! " Rapunzel exclaimed.

" Of course I'm alive, " I said confusedly.

" It sounded like you were dying, I'm so sorry we let him take you, I should have put up a fight, " she said.

" Punzie, it's not your fault, you did the right thing, he would've killed you if you did anything, " I said smiling at her.

She nodded, but I could tell she still felt bad, " So what happened in there? " she asked.

" I learned that his name is Pitch and then he asked me some questions, " I replied, not wanting to tell them about the fire or Hans, " But I don't want to talk about it. " 

" Okay, " Rapunzel said as she sat back down by Astrid and I think it's Flynn. There was no other seats so I took one next to Kristoff.

There was some awkward silence before I broke it, " Umm, thanks for catching me, I kinda don't have good balance, " I said smirking at myself.

" No problem, " he replied, " Oh, and thanks for uh, speaking up I guess, earlier, " he said, referring to when Pitch almost killed him.

" Anytime, " I said.

I let out a sigh thinking about Hans, and what he was probably going through right now.

All the sudden the door at the end of the hallway opened and what looked like two guards came through.

When they got closer I realized they were dragging someone between them.

I gasped when I recognized him as Hans. He looked terrible, I couldn't see most of his face but it looked bruised and cut.

After he was pulled away I noticed everyone was looking at me.

" What? " I asked looking around at everyone.

" Why did it seem like you cared about Hans? " Astrid asked.

" I don't know, maybe he's not as bad as you think, " I said.

Everybody's mouth fell to the floor as they stared at me.

I rolled my eyes and looked away, they just didn't understand, and I wasn't about to tell them what had happened.

I don't know why, I feel like they would say he was faking or something, but he seemed so genuine.

And that's something they just wouldn't get.