Chapter 35 : They Got Away

JACK'S POV

The gun shot bounced off the walls and rang in my ears.

I felt no pain even though I knew I must be hurt.

I looked up at Pitch and Hans who were smiling at me, " I think we are even now, " Pitch said, his grin growing even more.

" ELSA! " I heard Rapunzel scream.

I turned around to where Elsa was standing, but she was no longer there. She was laying on the ground as a pile of blood grew around her.

I ran to her side and fell to the ground, I grasped her in my arms and pulled her head into my lap.

" Jack? " She asked me.

" I'm here, " I answered stroking her hair.

Her eyes were wide from shock and her fragile body was trembling, " Am I dying? " She asked me, looking absolutely terrified.

She lifted her hand off the wound to her eyesight. Her hand was completely soaked in blood.

Anna fell to the ground on the other side of her, " Elsa! No! You can't do this, not now, not ever, " she said shaking.

Rapunzel knelt down beside Anna, " Jack, put her on the ground, " She ordered, trying to stay calm, but I could hear the fear in her voice.

I placed her head on the ground and grabbed onto her hand.

Rapunzel placed both hands on the wound and applied pressure, Elsa winced but didn't move much.

She took off the sweater she was wearing and wrapped it around Elsa's waist and tied it across the wound.

" An ambulance is on its way, " Astrid said hurrying over to Elsa.

" Good, she doesn't have much longer, " Rapunzel said, once again applying pressure to the injury.

Elsa was looking directly up into my eyes and I could see the pain was starting to overtake her.

" Jack, keep her awake, "  Rapunzel told me.

Her eyes started to flutter closed, I tapped her cheek a couple times and they opened again.

" Jack, " She called my name again, " I-In case th-his is goodb-bye, I w-want to say- "

I placed my finger on her lips, " Don't do that, this isn't goodbye, you're going to be fine, there's nothing to worry about, " I said, trying to sound reassuring, but I couldn't even convince myself.

She smiled at me and her eyes started to close again.

" Elsa, " I said while gently hitting her cheek, " Stay with me, Elsa, " I told her.

She closed her eyes and mouthed something to me, but I couldn't quite understand.

" No! Elsa don't do this! " Anna exclaimed, squeezing Elsa's cold hand, " Wake up! "

Tears were streaming down her face and her eyes were red and puffy.

Rapunzel had ripped the bottom half of Elsa's shirt in order to be able to stop the bleeding. Astrid was helping her in any way that she could.

All the sudden everything seemed like a blur, the paramedics came rushing in and placed Elsa on a gurney.

They rushed her down to the first floor while we followed close behind.

Anna and I were allowed in the back with her while the rest had to be left behind.

It was only a short 5 minute drive to the hospital, but it seemed to take hours, the paramedics worked frantically caring to the wound, while they began to pump more blood into her veins, to replace how much she had lost.

We got to the hospital and Anna and I were left in the waiting room, while they brought her into the emergency unit.

I sat down on a chair and placed my head in my hands, " It should have been me, " I mumbled to myself.

" Don't say that, " I heard Anna say beside me, I completely forgot she was there and turned to look at her.

" How can I not? This is all my fault, this happened because Pitch was angry at me, " I said looking down.

" He wasn't just angry at you, he has a hate for our family, I'm not sure why, but this would have happened no matter what you did, " She said grabbing my hand and trying her best to smileat me.

" I guess, but I just feel like it's all my fault. "

" I know what you mean, I was the reason Elsa got twisted up into this debt business, it was my fault because I was selfish and didn't want to live without her, " She explained and sniffled a bit.

" That's not selfish, that's caring, " I corrected and gave her a hug.

She rested her head on my shoulder and cried a little and that's the last thing I remember before I fell asleep.

MERIDA'S POV

I heard the gun shot and saw Elsa fall to the floor.

" I think we are even now, " Pitch said with a sick grin on his face.

While everyone turned to look at Elsa I noticed Pitch, Hans and Rapunzel's mother sneaking away.

" Oh no you don't, " I mumbled as I chased after them.

They ran down the halls and into the stair case, they started climbing toward the roof as I caught up with them.

As they reached a landing I attacked Hans from behind.

He stumbled a bit and whipped around after I successfully kicked in the back of his knee.

He tried to punch me, but I ducked below it round housed him.

He caught my leg just as I was about to hit him and twisted it. I had only one option which I took.

I let my body twist with my leg, as I twirled in the air I brought my other leg up and kicked him in the face.

We both fell to the ground, Hans was able to break his fall with his hands, but I wasn't so lucky.

I smacked my head off the concrete and immediately the room started to spin.

Hans recovered from the hit and slowly got on his feet and continued up the stairs. I saw two blurry figures pass by me and chase after Hans.

I felt someone sit me up and look at me.

" Are....... okay? " Was all I heard over the ringing in my ears.

My vision started to clear and I looked into the face of Hiccup. He had a worried expression on his face.

He moved my hair out of my eyes and tucked it behind my ears.

" Merida? " He asked as he waved his hand in front of my face.

All the sudden I came to my senses and jerked up remembering what had all just happened.

" Where's Pitch? We have to catch him! " I said struggling to get up.

Hiccup held me down, " Don't worry, Flynn and Kristoff are after them, there's nothing you can do, at least not in this condition, " he said.

I relaxed a bit, but still felt on edge.

A loud buzzing noise was heard from above and we both looked up.

Within a minute or so the buzzing had died down into nothing but the nightlife of the city.

" Come on, we should go, " Hiccup said helping me to my feet.

We slowly started making our way down the stairs when Flynn and Kristoff appeared behind us, looking defeated.

" What happened? " I asked them.

Flynn sighed, " They got away. "