Chapter 24 : Remembering

ELSA'S POV

I ran out of Jack's house, not wanting to listen to him try and make up excuses anymore.

I can't believe it! I can't.

All this time I thought it was my fault...

I still remember it like it was yesterday.

" Elsa! Time for dinner! " I heard my Dad call from downstairs.

" Coming! " I said as I ran out of my room down the stairs and into the kitchen.

When I got there Anna and Dad were already at the table waiting for me.

" So did you take care of everything? " I asked as I sat down.

" Yep, I called the police and they caught the pranksters, " he said giving me a smile, " There's nothing to worry about. "

" Good! " Anna said as Dad scooped some mashed potatoes on my plate.

" What's in the big pan? " I asked pointing to the only one with a lid on.

" I made turkey! " he said, unveiling the lid and showing us the contents.

Anna and I smiled, " Yum! " she said.

" Turkey was always Mom's favourite, " I said, instantly regretting it.

Anna's and Dad's faces fell and the mention of Mom.

It had been almost a year since her death, but nothing has ever been the same.

The rest of supper was quiet, after we were done, Anna went up to her room and Dad started the dishes, I sat at the island in our kitchen playing with the random items on the counter.

After a couple minutes Dad had finished and went inside the garage to finish fixing the lawn mower.

I found myself playing with a lighter someone had left out, I watched the flame light up and then go out.

" Whatcha doing? " Somebody said behind me, startling me.

I whipped around to see Anna staring up at me, " Anna, you scared me! " I said, smiling.

" I'm sorry, I- " her eyes got wide and she pointed behind me, " El- Elsa! "

" What? " I asked, turning around to see what she was pointing at.

I froze as I saw the top of the counter engulfed in flames, I looked at the lighter that I was holding and realized I had let it press against some papers spread out across the counter.

The flame spread to the curtains that draped low against the counter.

" Elsa! What do we do? " I heard Anna say as she tugged on my sleeve.

I looked around and grabbed a tea towel off the table, I started waving it at the flames in hopes to put it out.

It didn't help and the flames grew larger, spreading throughout the kitchen.

" Dad!!! " I yelled over the crackle of the fire, as I grabbed Anna's hand and ran to the garage.

We turned the corner to where the entrance to the garage was only to see the doorway engulfed in flames.

" What? " I asked, " How did it spread so fast? " I wondered.

" Elsa! " I heard a voice inside the garage yell.

" Dad?! " I yelled back, completely overwhelmed with fear.

" Go get help! " he yelled.

I turned around and pulled Anna with me, I grabbed my Dad's cell phone on table in the hallway before exiting our house.

We ran into the backyard, " Anna! Call the police! " I shouted as I handed her the phone.

" Elsa I'm scared! " she said, tears spilling over her eyelids.

" Everything is going to be fine, I'll be right back, don't move, " I said as I ran back towards the house.

I went straight to the garage and looked in through a scattered window, I couldn't see anything but flames.

I could hear my Dad screams from inside, I couldn't stop the tears that streamed down my face.

" Dad! " I screamed, only I could barely hear myself through the roar of the fire.

" Elsa! Take care of Anna! I love you! " I swore I could almost hear my Dad's voice call out, but I couldn't be sure.

The next thing I could remember was being picked up by a firefighter and carried out to the road where Anna ran towards me.

I hugged her and we cried for hours as we watched the firefighters do their best to put out the flames.

By the time the fire was out there was nothing left to our house, but a pile of ashes.

I stopped remembering and took a deep breath, I hadn't thought about that night in five years.

I had always blamed myself for what happened. Even though it seemed impossible for the fire to spread to the garage that fast, I never thought that someone else could have done it, but it all makes sense now.

That fire was the reason Anna's and my life took a turn for the worse.

After everything we were brought to the police station and soon were placed into an orphanage.

It was a couple days after the accident when we arrived. I was going into Grade Nine and Anna was going into Grade Six, so we weren't really wanted by the people wishing to adopt.

Eventually Anna and I ran away and used the money from selling the lot our house was on to live.

But within a couple of years the money ran out, and that is where we are today, orphans with no money. 

But I can't believe it was Jack this whole time, I trusted him! 

And he knew the whole time, he was playing me! I don't know why, but it doesn't matter now, all I have to worry about is finding Anna, Astrid and Rapunzel.