Chapter 34 : Now We're Even

RAPUNZEL'S POV

" What do you mean my mother is here? " I asked Astrid, totally confused, " Is she looking for me? She must be worried sick! "

" Rapunzel, " Astrid said holding my shoulders, " She's not looking for you. "

" But then why, " I said completely confused, she is supposed to be out of town this week, " I don't understand. "

" She's working with Pitch, " Astird said quietly while looking down.

" No, " I said shaking my head, " She wouldn't, she's not like that. "

Astrid sighed, " Come see for yourself. "

MERIDA'S POV

Hiccup and I leaned against the wall and watched the conversation between Pitch, Hans and Rapunzel's mother from a distance.

" I still can't believe it, " Hiccup muttered.

" What? " I asked, I could tell I broke his train of thought, he shook his head, as if to bring himself back into reality.

" Oh, that Rapunzel's mother would be working with Pitch, " He answered with a confused look on his face, " I only met her a couple times, but she seemed like such a nice person. "

" Well, you gotta be some sort of messed up to be working with Pitch, am I right? " I said, I snorted at my own weird joke, but by the look on Hiccup's face I guessed it was bad timing, I never was really good at this socializing stuff.

Hiccup didn't reply, he looked lost in thought, " I don't know why I said that, " I broke the silence, letting out a sigh.

He looked up at me and smiled, " Don't worry about it, just maybe don't say that when Rapunzel gets here. "

" I think I can do that, " I said, and for the first time in forever I smiled, not a fake one, but a genuine one that came unexpected.

We didn't say anything else, we spied on the conversation in silence, but it wasn't an awkward silence, it was kinda peaceful.

" Where is she? " I heard someone ask beside me.

I glanced over at Rapunzel who had just appeared with Astrid, Flynn, Kristoff, and Anna.

I pointed down the hall and she stole a glance.

I turned my attention to notice Anna and was glad that she was okay. Hiccup went over to talk to her and I looked back at Rapunzel.

Wait..... Where did she go?

JACK'S POV

Elsa and I contemplated on how we were going to solve this problem.

" Should we just go and talk to her? " Elsa asked, " I know her she would never do anything to hurt Rapunzel or me. "

" I'm not sure if that's a good idea, if she is working with Pitch she's dangerous, " I explained my concern with her plan.

" I don't think you understand, this woman is Rapunzel's mother, she used to bring cookies up to her room when we were playing, " She said, with a look that was hard to figure out.

" Okay, but- " I started, but was interrupted by commotion in the hall.

We glanced around the corner and saw Rapunzel striding to the meeting from the other side of the hallway.

" Mother? " Rapunzel asked with confusion in her voice, " Why are you here? "

Mother Gothel turned to look at Rapunzel, " Rapunzel! " She exclaimed and rushed to embrace her, " My dear girl! I've been searching everywhere for you. "

" You've been looking for me? " She asked, sounding like she wasn't sure if she could believe her.

" Of course! I happen to forget my travel coat when I left and when I went back to retrieve it, you were gone! I had been looking for you for days, when I heard a rumor about you being kidnapped by this terrible man! " She exclaimed pointing a finger to the man from the room, " So I came here to make a trade, you for whatever I own. "

" Don't make any deals with Pitch, " she said, " I escaped by myself. "

I looked at Elsa, " Pitch? " I whispered.

" Isn't that the 'legend' you pretended to be in the alleyway? " She wondered.

" It is, but he's not actually real, everyone just said it was a myth, " I answered, I accidentally said this a little too loud and everyone turned to look at us.

'Pitch' turned and looked at me, and I had to take a second glance.

Was that him?

" Elsa, " Pitch said in soothing voice, " I was wondering how long it would take you to get here, " He flashed a smile at us, " Jack, nice to see you again after all these years. "

" Can't say the same about you, " I countered, stepping out from behind the corner.

" Ahh, there's the Jack I know, always so pleasant, " He said, I continued to walk closer to him, " Hold it right there, I wouldn't come any closer if I were you. "

I noticed Hans pull out a gun from the back waistband of his pants.

He cocked it and pointed it directly at my head.

I stopped walking, and put my hands up.

" Why are you doing all this? " I directed my question at Pitch.

" Isn't obvious? To get even, " He said plainly like everyone should know.

" For what? " I asked him another question.

" Well, now that you know I am Pitch Black, shouldn't it all make sense? " He answered with a question.

I thought for a moment, " Well, Pitch Black was said to have everything, when people saw you they would throw their valuables at your feet before you spoke a word. You have everything, so why do you want us? "

He chuckled, " What you can get when you only rob when its stormy and wear a cloak. "

" Wait? That's your big secret? You waited for the storms? " I wondered.

" Genius, isn't it? At first, I only did it to scare people, but then everyone thought I could control weather! " He laughed again, " Well, we should be going, but just to make sure you don't follow us. " He nudged Hans with his elbow.

A gun shot echoed throughout the hallway.

I waited for the pain, but I felt nothing, I looked at Hans and Pitch who were smiling, " I think we are even now, " Pitch said.

" ELSA! " I heard Rapunzel scream.

I whipped around and saw her laying on the floor.

My heart stopped.

AUTHOR'S NOTE :

Hey everyone! Thanks for reading! I just wanted to get your opinion on if hiccastrid or merricup should happen??? You can inbox me or comment, but I'd love to know what you guys think!