Chapter 50 : Lights Out

JACK'S POV 

Within a couple minutes, a dim emergency light that was placed on the wall beside the door flickered on. We crossed the room and stood under the light in a circle.

" What do we do now? " Merida asked. Everyone immediately looked at me like I was supposed to already have a plan.

I thought for a moment what some of our options were, the group continued to stare me down while I was lost in thought. I put my hand along the wall so I could lean against it, but instead of the wall my hand met with the cold metal hinge of the door.

That reminded me of when we had first entered the room, the blonde woman had scanned a key card to unlock the door. 

I walked between Flynn and Rapunzel to the door and simply turned the knob, the door clicked and I pulled it open.

I turned around to face everyone and there eyes were wide, " Well, that was easy, " I said as I shrugged and flashed them a sly smile, " The lock must run through the same circuit as the power. "

" So it unlocked when the power dropped, " Kristoff added, " That means while the power is down we can probably get through most of the doors in the building and find Elsa and Anna. "

" Then we better hurry before the generator kicks in, " Rapunzel said walking past me and out the door.

We entered the hallway with Rapunzel leading the way, it was just as dark with the same dim lights sporadically placed.

The building seemed to be in panic mode, random people ran past us in the hall, but didn't seem to mind or recognize us. We had no idea where we should be going so we just kept walking forward hoping to find something. 

Then we came across a fork in the hallway, " We should split up, " I suggested, " That way we'll have more likelihood of finding them. " I could tell no one wanted to split up, I didn't want to either, but it was our best chance. " Flynn and Rapunzel, you guys come with me. "

There was no objections so we took the right side, while Hiccup, Kristoff, Merida and Astrid disappeared down the left.

We continued forward and decided on which way to go when the hallway split in two, until we came to a corridor with numerous large metal doors on each side.

" This looks like someplace where they would hold prisoners, " Flynn said, walking up to the first door and yanking it open. 

We all peered inside, the room was empty and dark, the only light came from the hallway, but it barely lit 3 feet in front of us. 

" No Elsa, " I said, shutting the door. We checked each room, but none of them showed any signs of Elsa or Anna.

" If I know Elsa, she could be in one of those rooms and just hiding, " Rapunzel said, " We should check each room again and- "

" WHAT! " someone yelled from the room beside me, cutting off Rapunzel's suggestion, I recognized it as Anna's voice.

We immediately barged into the room, " Elsa? Are you in here? " I asked.

" Jack? " I heard Elsa's voice call out from by my feet. A cabinet door opened and she crawled out. 

I dropped down to the floor, holding her hands in mine, " Are you okay? We've been worried sick, " I asked her.

She smiled at me, but it quickly faded, " I'm fine, but we have to get out of here. "

I pulled her up on her feet, but I didn't let go, I felt like I never wanted to let go of her again.

" Hold on a minute! " I heard Anna's voice exclaim as she climbed out of the same cupboard Elsa had been in. " You can't just drop a bomb like that on me and then just walk away! "

" Anna, I'll explain everything you want to know, but first we have to get out of here, " Elsa told her. 

" No, " Anna stated firmly, " I'm not leaving until I see him, he must've been looking for us this whole time. "

" He's not the same person you remember, trust me, we have to leave, " Elsa tried to reason with her, but the look on her face said that she wouldn't be convinced otherwise.

" Elsa what's going on? " Rapunzel jumped in, " Who is she talking about? "

She sighed and took a deep breath, " Our father, he's alive, " her tone as she spoke indicated that it wasn't a good thing, " He's not like he used to be, he wants the money mom left us. "

" Is that all you think of me? " 

We all turned around to see a man standing in the doorway holding a battery-powered lantern. 

" Dad! " Anna exclaimed as she ran past us and gave him a hug. 

Their father didn't return the embrace, but he didn't reject it either, he just stood there almost like a statue. " Elsa's wrong about me, I care about you very much, now come with me it isn't safe here, " He said as he led the way out of the room.

" It isn't safe with him either, " Elsa whispered in my ear. 

I grabbed Flynn's arm, " Go find the others and bring them back to help us, we're gonna need it, " I said quietly in his direction.

He nodded and stayed behind Elsa and I with Rapunzel. As we walked a separate hallway appeared on our left. When I looked behind me after we had passed, Flynn and Rapunzel were gone.

" They're going to get help, " I whispered to Elsa gesturing to look behind us, she glanced and nodded her head in a agreement.

" I don't know what happened to him, but he's not interested in family reunions, " Elsa said.

We were trailing behind just a bit and speaking in hushed tones to make sure they couldn't hear us.

" He said that he didn't come find us because Pitch is looking for him and he didn't want to put us in danger, but apparently my mom left Anna and I money that only I can access in about 3 weeks when I turn 19, " she explained.

" So we can't trust him, but how do we convince Anna of that? " I asked.

She sighed, " I don't know she can be very naive and strong willed, and if he's around we'll never change her mind. There's only one way that I can think of getting her to leave with us, but she's not gonna like it. "