Chapter 5 - The deal (3)

Once his wounds were treated and his arms thoroughly bandaged, Roran bid goodnight to Kell and Carrick led him back towards his dungeon.

"With everything I've done for you two tonight I should be charging you," Carrick said. "Oh, that reminds me." He paused and pulled out a small bag, handing it to Roran.

"What's this?"

"Your winnings."

Roran had completely forgotten about his winnings. He'd been so focused on passing Kell's test that earning favors hadn't occurred to him. Hefting the bag, Roran frowned.

"This feels like a lot." He opened the bag and found a mound of favors glimmering back at him.

"You killed a titled gladiator, they're worth a lot of money," said Carrick, beginning to walk again.

"But it was after the bell rang."

"Kell convinced the judges to legitimize your kill. You and Gress both broke the rules, so they called it even." Carrick shrugged. "And the crowd loved it. They come here for the chaos of ametuer fighters thrashing about to stay alive. Watching a champion get killed like that is exciting for them. Next week the Crucible will be filled to the brim, that I can promise you."

"Will I have to kill again?"

Carrick glanced over his shoulder at Roran. "Would that be a problem?"

Roran took a breath. Even this high up, the air in the tunnels was stale and musty. He could already taste the fetid air of the dungeons below.

"No," said Roran.

"Good, the more you kill the more favors you earn. Food is cheap but things like medicine and gear are expensive. If you plan on supporting your village you're going to need a lot."

Nodding, Roran silently mouthed 'sorry mom.'

The rest of the trip was made in silence. Carrick went as far as the stairs, but made Roran descend on his own. He was getting used to making this climb and even got a nod from the wardens guarding the gate. It was still difficult for Roran to tell them apart. They dressed the same, had similar builds, and all of them wore the same scowl. At least they recognized him.

When he was led to his town's dungeon, the warden even went so far as to say, "See you later kid," after shutting the door behind him. Roran turned to watch him leave. He reached out and grabbed the bar. One day, if he kept fighting, if he kept killing, he wouldn't have to come back here.

Murrin's voice cut through his thoughts, sharp and nasal. "And where in the abyss have you been-"

Roran turned to face him and Murrin startled backwards, his eyes going wide with fear.

"W-why are you covered in blood?" Murrin stammered.

"Because I killed someone."

Murrin stared at him. After taking a moment, he cleared his throat and regained his air of authority. "And where have you been since? Sephyr and Toth returned immediately and-"

"Roran!"

Peering around Murrin, Roran saw Toth lying on the ground. He was a mess. The medics had bandaged him up but the white cloth was already stained red. Half his face was covered with blood soaked bandages. Kamil was leaning over him, her eyes puffy and red from sobbing. She was clinging to her son as though he may vanish if she let go.

Even in his miserable condition, Toth managed to push Kamil away and forced himself to sit up. "Oh gods Roran, is he dead? Is that bastard dead?"

Brushing Murrin aside, Roran went to Toth's side, kneeling down next to him.

"Yeah, he's dead."

"Thank the gods," said Toth, tears running from his uncovered eye, "Thank you Roran, thank you for killing that bastard."

Roran didn't say anything. He hadn't killed Gress for Toth. He'd done it for his own selfish reasons.

"What happened?" asked Sephyr, coming to stand next to them.

"They took me to a cell after I killed him. Kell realized that he'd been cheating and pointed it out to the wardens, they let me go after that. Kell yelled at me for a little bit then they bandaged me up and brought me back down here."

"How was he cheating?" asked Sephyr.

"He was using magic. It protected his body, that's why we couldn't hurt him. The magic didn't extend outside his clothing, that's why I was able to stab him.."

Sephyr nodded. "I should have given you my ax."

Roran shrugged. "You didn't know. It wouldn't have mattered, Kell stepped in anyways."

"She's dangerous."

"You have no idea," said Roran.

A hand gripped Roran's shoulder and he was dragged backwards, away from Sephyr and Toth.

"Just what in the abyss is going on?" said Murrin, his face red and his veins bulging. "You drag two of our young boys into the arena with you and one of them comes back looking like a carved ham!"

"I told them not to come," said Roran.

"Shut up, don't talk back." Flecks of spittle flew from Murrin's lips to land on Roran's blood stained shirt. "Where did you get those bandages? How much of our money did you spend getting special treatment while poor, injured Toth was down here bleeding? Do you even have any left? Where is the money you owe us?"

In response, Roran untied the bag Carrick had given him and upended it. A cascade of shimmering blue favors poured out onto the ground.

"Is that what you wanted?" asked Roran.

Murrin dropped to the ground, trying to scoop up the coins. He scrambled around, chasing after a couple that had bounced and rolled away.

"Holy crap Roran! How did you get so many?" asked Toth.

"I killed a champion, they're worth a lot."

"We'll be eating well for a while," said Sephyr.

Roran shook his head. "Medicine costs extra and Toth is going to need some to recover. A few of the others here also need to see a medic," he said, looking around the dungeon at the ill and the infirmed. "I got lucky this time but I won't be able to earn this much in every match."

After collecting all the favors, Murrin returned and loomed over the three boys. He cleared his throat. "Well, boys, I will be able to stretch this little sum of money for quite a while. It will take some careful planning but I am up to the challenge. Everyone," he said, raising his voice, "I will take care of our provisions and needs for the foreseeable future. Good job Sephyr, good job Toth."

Murrin hesitated as his eyes shifted to Roran. He cleared his throat again and, much more quietly, said, "And you too, good job Roran."

Roran didn't say anything. It was the first time in his life that Murrin had ever said anything nice to him. Instead of responding, he went and laid down in his usual spot. He was tired and wanted to spend the rest of the day sleeping. The sooner he fell asleep, the sooner tomorrow would come. And the sooner tomorrow came, the sooner Kell would take him out of this pit and back into the fresh air above.