Chapter 19 - The reaper (7)

The King raised an eyebrow. Both Nul and Kell had turned to look at Roran.

"My mother went on adventures," Roran went on, "She overcame obstacles and worked her way through challenges. She taught me everything I know, everything I needed to overcome the Crucible. She promised me that, when I got older, we would go on adventures together. That we would travel to new places and meet new people. She died before we ever got the chance. I want to go on an adventure, to honor her memory and live the life she wanted me to live. The only way to do that is to escape the Crucible."

King Tasos nodded. "I see. Your mother must have been a passionate woman to instill such tenacity in you. Well, young Roran, you shall have plenty of opportunities for adventure. As the Champion of the Iron Gauntlet, you will receive a hearty purse. And, I shall grant you one boon. My aide tells me that you would like to have people moved out of the refugee apartments and granted citizenship?"

Roran felt his body go cold. "Yes your majesty," he said, his lips hardly moving.

"If that is what you wish, we can make arrangements for Millgrove to be relocated-"

"Not Millgrove, your majesty."

The King paused, blinking at him. "Not Millgrove?"

"There's a small group of people from a village called Sunridge. They're mostly children and a few old ladies. I want them to be granted citizenship and freed from the dungeons."

The aide scowled at Roran's use of the word dungeon but the King didn't bat an eye.

"You want Sunridge to go free but not Millgrove. A handful of children is no burden, I can release both."

Roran shook his head. "The people of Millgrove murdered my mother, they can fend for themselves."

Nul hissed through their teeth, startled by Roran's statement. Kell didn't say anything, simply staring impassively at King Tasos.

"Very well, your favor shall be granted. Though I must say it is quite a small favor, is there anything else you would like? Gold, status, property?"

Roran glanced at Kell and Nul, hoping they would have a suggestion.

Kell caught his eye and shook her head. "It's your boon, wish for what you want."

Turning back to King Tasos, Roran said, "I uh...there is one other thing."

"Yes?"

"I want to find my father."

King Tasos nodded. "That is within my power. Very well, I shall grant citizenship to the remaining people of Sunridge and I shall provide you with the location of your father, whether he be dead or alive."

"Thank you, your majesty."

"Before you go, I have a question for your two sponsors. Worldbreaker and living storm, what is it you hope to gain by sponsoring this young man?"

Nul said, "I simply wish to support my team and continue growing as an etcher, working with Kell and her associates is the most effective way of doing that."

"I see. And you?"

Kell took a step forward, licking her lips. She grinned down at the King, baring her fangs.

"I want to kill you."

Silence descended on the platform. All the servants went completely still and the aide went pale. King Tasos stared up at Kell, his face unreadable. After a moment he leaned forward and smiled back.

"Good."

Satisfied, Kell took a step back and the King settled back into his seat. There was a collective sigh of relief as the tension eased. Both the King and the champion had smug grins.

"Now," began the King, "If that is all, let us bring this tourney to a close. My aide shall see to it that your boons are carried out and the clerks will ensure you get paid. I look forward to seeing what adventures you three get up to moving forward."

Raising his hands, the King clapped once. The sound echoed throughout the arena over and over again. The platform began to rise, gently floating into the air of its own accord. Seeing the stands growing closer and closer gave Roran a sense of vertigo and Kell had to grab his shoulder to steady him.

"Ladies and gentlemen!" The announcer opened with his perpetually ringing voice. "Our prestigious King has accepted young Roran's request and agreed to grant his boon. A collection of souls shall be given citizenship and raised out of poverty to live happy lives within our wonderful city. Truly, there are no gods more merciful than the ones that rule over us.

"Now, the time has come to crown our champion. What say you?"

The audience stomped their feet, screaming and cheering.

"I see you agree! Now, what shall we call him? Maybe you all can help grant this warrior a fitting name."

Kell groaned and rolled her eyes. "They already decided it," she said, her voice flat. "This part is just for show."

"What if we call him the Roran, the brave blade?" the announcer asked.

A handful of people cheered but the audience was subdued, waiting for something more appealing.

"No? I guess that one doesn't roll off the tongue. How about, the murderer from Millgrove?"

Roran winced. That was the last thing he wanted anyone to call him.

Hundreds of onlookers cheered and screamed, voicing their approval. But, by a narrow margin, the majority stayed quiet.

Finally, the announcer said, "Maybe we need a name that tells a story. A name that give proper warning about his savage skills and lethal intellect. Afterall, this is the man that cut down four champions. People should know that to challenge him means certain death. Yes, ladies and gentlemen, I have the perfect name: Roran the Reaper!"

The crowd exploded with approval, screaming and cheering. They picked up the chant in an instant. "Reaper! Reaper! Reaper!"

"That settles it ladies and gentlemen, we have a title. Now, what does our great King think?"

The King startled off his chair, half choking on a sip of wine.

"Right, forgot about this part," he muttered, wiping wine off his lips.

Jumping to his feet, the King grabbed Roran's arm and pulled him to the edge of the platform, where all could see him. When he spoke, his voice could be heard all throughout the arena with crystal clarity.

"After overcoming numerous trials, and defeating foes far greater than yourself, I am pleased to name you, young Roran Aurandale, a champion of King's City. Fine people, I present to you, your newest hero: Roran the Reaper!"

All around them, the Crucible vibrated with the roar of the crowd. They chanted, "Reaper! Reaper! Reaper!" as loud as they could, the words echoing over and over again.

Roran shuddered with disgust.