Chapter 9 - The living storm (8)

Beside Roran, Nul was fidgeting. It was the first time Roran had seen Nul fidget. Tapping their foot, folding their arms and drumming their fingers on their arm.

Swallowing, Roran said, "Well, at least she stopped the orb from going to the red team."

Nul exhaled and continued to fidget.

"And she took out half of their team. She's clearly the strongest on the field."

"No-one doubts her strength," said Nul, their voice tight.

"She still has time to go get the red orb. Things aren't that bad."

"Her head is a bloody mess, there is a hole in her arm, she has nothing but a knife, and I would be very surprised if her hand isn't broken from shattering stone with her bare fist. And while yes, she is in fact the strongest person on the field, she still let them bait her into a pointless fight that's left her injured and unarmed. This is the best case scenario for them. Things are that bad."

Roran said nothing. This was the first time Nul had scolded him and he wasn't sure how to respond.

"This is why you should stay in the Crucible," said Morena, crossing his legs and leaning back in his seat. "It's a hell of a lot better than fighting in this mess if you ask me."

"Nobody asked you!" Nul snapped.

Morena put his hands up and said nothing more.

"Sorry," Nul said to Roran. "It's just that this isn't the first time this has happened. Kell is impulsive, she let's people piss her off too easily and plays right into their hands. It's almost gotten her killed a few times."

Roran nodded.

"Your plan was good, it probably would have worked, but now we have to sit here and hope she can figure the rest out on her own." Nul kicked the ground in front of them. "I hate it when she does this."

"Is she good with a knife?" asked Roran.

"Yeah, she's good with every weapon. She just prefers the spear because she's short and it makes up for her reach."

"Do you think she can beat Jorgen? Even with her injuries?"

Nul stopped fidgeting and stared down into the arena. Though she was moving more slowly, Kell was still climbing towards the red team's tower, jumping from roof to roof. Jorgen continued to pace back and forth, waiting for the oncoming storm.

"Yes," said Nul, "She will beat Jorgen."

"Then she can at least have another weapon."

"What?"

"Jorgen is wielding a bo staff, it's about the same length as her spear. It doesn't have a blade but it will make up for her reach. Once she has that, there will only be one effective fighter left on the red team."

Nul nodded, "And they're currently fighting Bolero. This could work out."

"See," said Roran, smiling, "Things aren't so bad."

Nul rolled their eyes, but pressed two fingers to their neck. "Kell, take Jorgen's staff. It's better than a knife. Once you get the red orb, head straight for Kameron. Bolero is tying up the other champion. Beat Kameron and you win."

Down in the arena, Kell paused for a moment to rest and listen. She nodded. "I hate bo staves," she said, "they're like castrated spears. A tease at best."

Nul knew better to respond and Kell didn't expect an answer. Instead she hustled up the last few rooftops, coming to land on the red team's tower. Jorgen planted himself between Kell and the orb.