Chapter 100 - The Sentinel and the Kingfisher

(1)

"You didn't have to come," said Toran.

Matriarch Gwendalyn smiled at him. "No, but I wanted to. I can leave if you'd like."

Toran grunted but didn't say anything. They were sitting in a ready room in the King's Arena, listening to the crowd above screaming and cheering. He could feel the vibrations as the crowd stamped their feet and roared for the fighters currently occupying the arena. Soon, someone would come to collect Toran for the final bout of the day.

The truth was that he was happy to have the Matriarch there. He was actually fond of the old mother hen, though he'd never admit it. The last thing he wanted was to become a sentimental old man.

"You know, it's been years since my last bout in the arena. Longer still since I managed to win anything. For a while, I thought I'd lost my edge."

"Since your wife died, you mean?"

"We were never married. Should have been, gods know it would have made my life so much better, but no, Alira was never my wife. But I think you're right, when she died I lost my will to fight."

"And now you fight for your son?"

"Aye."

The Matriarch nodded. "It seems there are many people putting their faith in Roran. Do you think he can accomplish what it is that he intends to do?"

Toran chewed on the thought. He knew he was biased towards his son but he wanted to give an honest answer.

"Do you know what it is that he intends to do?" asked Toran.

"He's never told me directly, but I believe he intends to challenge the Kings. I don't think he wants a crown, I think he wants to destroy them and destroy this world they've built."

"You'd be correct. You'd also be correct for saying it's a childish dream. For a boy to challenge the gods...who in their right mind would put their life on the line for such a silly dream."

"From what I can tell, there are many people willing to make such a gamble. Kell believes in him, and so does Darling. Even Sarah, a specter of death itself, seems to support him. Why? What makes him special? Why do you think he's capable of changing the world?"

"He's not," said Toran. "At least, he's not capable of doing it on his own. I don't know why the others believe in him, but I have my own suspicions. His mother was capable of...strange things. She was able to influence things around her, change them. Honestly, she was probably one of the most influential people in this world and so few people knew she even existed. I think Alira's influence put Roran in a position to do what needs to be done. I think she twisted the fates themselves so her son could achieve greatness. Too bad he's the one paying the price for his mother's choices."

"Is that why you're so set on him reading his mother's journal?"

Toran sighed. "No, I want him to read his mother's journal because he needs to know what kind of person she was before she became his mother. He needs to know that, despite everything he's done, despite every person he's killed and every life he's inadvertently destroyed through his actions, his mother would never think less of him. It would be hypocritical if she did, and Alira was no hypocrite."

"What do you mean?"

Toran waved the question away. "It's not something I'm willing to share. Maybe Roran will tell you once he's read the damn journal himself. That reminds me, if I die, make sure he gets my swords, will you?"

"Of course. I must say, it is strange seeing you whole again."

Toran rolled his eyes.

"See, you even have two eyes to roll at me. I'm surprised you'd risk your life now that you have your health back."