Chapter 113 - The Crownsguard

(1)

Roran was awake and alert early in the morning. Even the exhaustion brought on by his godspell couldn't keep away the nervousness of facing a demi-god. Today was a tipping point for them. This was their last hurdle. The events of the day would change history for the entire empire. For the entire world. Either Roran would clear away the final obstacle for their fight with the Kings, or he would die and the Kings would continue to rule for centuries, devouring the rest of the world in their ceaseless need for expansion and power.

There was tension in the house as Roran took an early breakfast. Few people talked to him and those that did spoke softly, as though they were afraid to disturb the quiet. Outside was quite the opposite. The streets were full of laughter and excitement. Vendors were out in force, serving food and hawking their wares. Today was the first major tourney of the season, one that had been denied to the citizens over and over again.

While the schedule was full of popular Champions, all desperate for the attention and fame available in the arena, the title card belonged to him and Destra. The Reaper and the Crownsguard. Roran didn't think that many people knew of him. He'd claimed some minor fame here and there, and the title of Reaper was easily recognized, but he wasn't a mainstay like the Worldbreaker or the Living Storm.

As Roran prepared for the day, Nul and Kell were both absent. A quick peek through the walls told Roran that Nul was hunched over a notebook, gently rocking back and forth, while Kell was curled up in bed, reading one of Karyn's old diaries. It seemed neither of them would be seeing him off. They had both been struggling lately. As much as Roran feared for their sanity, he didn't have time for them today.

Collecting himself, Roran headed for the door. The Matriarch and Darling were waiting for him.

"Leaving without saying goodbye?" asked the Matriarch.

"Do you think this is goodbye?" asked Roran.

"I think this whole mess is utter madness."

"And that's why you should leave it to us crazy kids," said Darling, grinning. "I have faith in you Roran. So much faith that I've taken the liberty of telling people that you're one of my personal guards and confidants."

"Won't that be problematic when I kill Destra?" asked Roran. "The Kings will be angry when they lose their final Chosen. Tying yourself to me is dangerous."

"You are already tied to Kell, who is my sister. The connection is there whether it is dangerous or not. I might as well capitalize on it."

Roran chuckled. "You really are just like your sister."

The Matriarch groaned. "Of all the role models to choose from."

"I'll be watching from the diplomatic chambers, along with Nul and Kell. Even if you can't see us, please know that we're there, that we're cheering for you. Would you like someone to accompany you to the arena?"

Roran could already feel a vanguard of lyhlim waiting for him in the streets. They were as tense as he was. At no point today would Roran be alone.

"I'm okay, thank you. The lyhlim are with me. Sarah is with me."

"I understand. Good luck."

"From us as well," said the Matriarch. "We would still be dying down in those wretched dungeons if it wasn't for you. Please, don't die today."

"I will do my best."

The Matriarch gave Roran a gentle, motherly, hug. Then Darling latched on and squeezed him tight. It was the same hug Kell had given him from time to time. He wondered if this was what a sisterly hug was supposed to feel like. Roran hugged her back, then departed as soon as they separated for fear of dragging the moment out any longer.