Chapter 23 - Focus Markings

(1)

"Sit here," said Nul.

Roran moved to a stool in the center of the workshop. Beside him, Nul had set up the workbench with small dishes and long, sharp needles.

Nul sat down beside Roran on another stool. They took a candle and dipped it into each dish, lighting the contents on fire. Carefully placing the needles on small stands, Nul moved the points over the flames. The tips quickly started to smoke and began glowing orange.

"I'm only going to give you a couple basic markings," said Nul. "The first one will be behind the ear, it's how Kell and I communicate over a distance. It has a limited range but it's perfect for arena matches."

"Will I hear you speaking inside my head?"

"No, I interlock it with our markings so they all vibrate the same way at the same time. Whenever you speak, it will cause the markings to vibrate, causing ours to vibrate as well. It's a simple solution, if an imperfect one, but I find that simple solutions are often the most elegant. As long as you are in range, all three of us will be able to talk as if we're standing next to each other."

"Okay..."

Nul sighed. "It will sound like we're talking into your ear, not your head."

"Okay, I understand now ."

Nul grabbed Roran's head and tilted it sideways. They grabbed a small piece of parchment and laid it against Roran's skin, wetting it with a damp cloth. Nul peeled the cloth away and held up a mirror so Roran could see the outline of the markings left on his skin.

"What do you think?"

"I'm not sure. I don't know what it's supposed to look like."

"It's supposed to look crisp and clean, the swirls should be smooth and the lines even. You'll funnel energy into these and the markings will twist and warp it, causing the energy to create the desired effect. You want to look for smudging or jagged lines, any places where the energy can leak out or short-circuit."

"Okay?"

"You'll understand when I put more markings on you. Any questions before we begin?"

"Will it hurt?"

"It varies from person to person. Applying the markings isn't the painful part, it's the cell popping that people find uncomfortable."

"Cell popping?"

"The hot needle that I apply the marks with boils the water in your skin, causing cells to burst. It's not as bad as it sounds. The first marking will be the worst, the rest won't feel so bad. After a while, you'll get used to it."

Roran let out a breath and nodded. It didn't matter if it hurt or not, he needed the markings if he wanted to move forward. He nodded and said, "Okay, let's get started."

Nul grabbed Roran's head and turned it, exposing the fresh outline. Nul's grip was firm but gentle. They grabbed one of the needles and brought it up towards Roran's skin. He could feel the heat coming off of it. Sweat was already running down Roran's skin in a mixture of fear and anxiety. He grimaced in anticipation of the pain.

"It's okay to be scared," said Nul, their voice soft and gentle. "I promise I won't do anything to harm you. If you'd like to see me do it on myself first, I can."

"No, it's okay. I trust you."

"If you're sure."

"I am."

Nul touched the needle to Roran's skin. There was a flare of pain that came and went in an instant. The sensation made Roran jump. Holding Roran's head steady, Nul tapped the needle to Roran again. There was another flare of pain followed by a sizzle and a pop. Roran smelled his flesh burning and was uncomfortable at how similar it smelled to bacon.