Chapter 10 - Aftermath (3)

After stuffing herself full of food, Kell's energy began to wane. She downed a couple more goblets of wine and settled down into the tub, letting her head rest on the side and closing her eyes.

"We should get going soon," said Nul.

"Five more minutes," said Kell, her voice quiet and groggy.

"You're going to fall asleep and drown."

"I won't drown."

Roran, feeling overheated from the hot water, pulled himself out of the tub and found a towel to dry off with. He was grabbing his clothes when Nul said, "You might want to help Kell out of the bath before you put on dry clothes."

Confused, Roran looked over at Kell who was fast asleep, and slowly slipping beneath the surface of the water. Wrapping the towel around his waist, Roran went and carefully prodded Kell's shoulder.

"Hey Kell, are you awake?"

He stepped back in case she startled awake and attacked him, like he'd seen others do in the past. Kell didn't attack him, nor did she startle awake. She started snoring and slipped further underwater.

"Pull her out," said Nul, snapping their notebook shut.

"Are you sure?"

Before Nul could answer, Kell slipped entirely below the water. Bubbles burbled to the surface but Kell showed no signs of waking.

"You should really-"

"Yeah, on it."

Roran reached into the water and pulled Kell back up. She was still dead asleep. Being conscious of where he put his hands, Roran grabbed Kell's torso and pulled her out of the tub and laid her on the ground. She murmured softly and rolled over onto her side.

"Is she okay?"

Nul nodded. "Focus markings are powered by your internal energy. Some call it the soul, others call it life force. At the end of the day it's all the same. Kell will eat twice her normal amount and sleep the rest of today and most of tomorrow, but she'll be fine in a couple of days."

"Is it the same for everyone that uses focus markings?"

"For most people, yes, but there are exceptions. Come on, let's get her home."

Roran carefully patted Kell dry with a towel then reached for her clothes.

"Don't bother, we're close to home and we'd just have to undress her again anyway."

Shrugging, Roran wrapped Kell up in a couple of towels. With her squared away, he finally put his own clothes back on. Nul bundled up Kell's clothes and packed everything away so they could leave.

"Oh, her spear is in the tub still," said Roran.

"I'll get it, you carry her."

Careful of her injuries, Roran scooped Kell up into his arms. She reminded Roran of a bird, surprisingly light yet incredibly bony. Kell's body was nothing but lean muscle and hard joints.

Nul went to the side of the tub. They held out their hand and made a swirling gesture at the tub. The water began to spin and whirl, swirling in circles around the spear. With another gesture from Nul, the spear floated up from the bottom of the tub, it's tip coming up and out of the water. Once it was within reach, Nul grabbed it and pulled the spear from the tub. The water settled back down with a splash.

"Let's go."

They departed the bath house, with Nul leaving a couple extra coins in exchange for the towels. The streets were still quiet but not as empty as they had been before. Overhead, the sun was settling down behind the arena, finishing its trek across the sky and cozying into the horizon.

"Let's hurry," said Nul, "The matches will be over soon and everyone will flood out of the arena."

"Does everyone in the city attend the arena events?" asked Roran.

"Most people do. The matches are primarily for the lords and nobles from outer provinces and other kingdoms, but it's the lifeblood of the city. Merchants and smiths attend so they can keep up on the latest gossip and know which champions have money and which ones died. Today was special because of the duels. The kings don't normally let champions kill each other freely."

"I heard there was a special event happening in the Crucible. Is it related?"

Nul nodded. "It's the founding month. This month, a little over a hundred years ago, King's City was founded and the three kings agreed to rule together."

"Oh, I didn't know that."

"You literally live underground. Nobody expects you to keep up with the city's history and events."

"Have you lived here long?" asked Roran.

"All my life. I was born here."

"Do your parents live here?"

"My mom does, my father passed away a few years ago. Natural causes."

"I'm sorry. Do you still see your mother?"

Nul shook their head. "No, we don't talk anymore."

They made their way into the apartment building and started climbing stairs. Despite her light frame, Kell was beginning to feel heavy and Roran struggled on the stairs. When they finally made it into the apartment, Roran was exhausted and gasping for air.

"You've gotten stronger," said Nul.

"It doesn't feel like it."

"Give it time. You've been starved and locked in a cage for months, you're stronger now than when I first saw you in the Crucible, and you are a little stronger everytime I see you."

"Oh, um thank you."

Nul led the way to Kell's bedroom. It was spartan and spotless, with a dresser for her clothes, a rack with a couple more spears, and a bed that was perfectly made. Nul pulled the covers back and Roran settled Kell into her bed. Nul went about tucking Kell in. Roran busied himself with putting Kell's spear back on the rack, now that it was reasonably clean. Once Kell was settled, they left her to sleep and went back into the kitchen.

"You really care about her," said Roran.

"She's my best friend."

"It shows."

"Do you have someone like that?" asked Nul, "Is that why you won't leave the dungeons?"

Roran shook his head. "No, my people aren't very fond of me. They didn't like my mother and I didn't make many friends growing up. The few I did have are either dead or the rest of the town keeps them away from me."

"I'm sorry. We have a spare room for whenever you're ready to move out."

Roran smiled. "I appreciate the offer but I can't just leave them. They're still my kinsmen."

Nul nodded. "I'm going to take a bath, you're welcome to stay or go."

"I should get going."

"Okay, we'll be in touch. Remember, the room is there whenever you're ready."