Chapter 99 - Like Father Like Son

(1)

Roran was worried about Kell but he didn't know what to do about it. She'd returned from the flagship covered in blood and refusing to talk to anyone. She'd changed her clothes and spent the rest of the day hiding away in the cabin, avoiding anyone that tried to talk to her. Merem had tried to force her into a conversation and it got heated enough that his hound had stepped between the two and Roran had been forced to shepherd Merem away from the situation.

Sarah had told Roran about Demetrio and the grizzly scene she'd found when she felt the remnant's presence. Kell had been brutal and merciless. Sarah said that with a violent death like that, it was no surprise that Demetrio had become a remnant. A weak one that was easily moved along, but a remnant nonetheless.

A day later, the man-o-war had pulled itself out of the water and headed back towards King's City, taking Darling and the others with it. Roran had felt a sigh of relief seeing the big ship leave and take the majority of the fleet with it. The remainder were staying in place to ensure a proper takeover of the Esmun military and to quell any lingering pockets of resistance. A small armada would be left at the Esmun Isles themselves, but the rest were set to return.

Roran was beginning to go stir crazy until Merem found him pacing the deck and gave him some good news.

"We're leaving soon," he said.

"How soon?" asked Roran.

"Is tomorrow good enough for you?"

Roran nodded. There were a lot of factors beyond his control, but he was as prepared as he could be. "Tomorrow is fine," he said. "I need to talk to Nul."

Merem moved to block his path. "Not so fast. I wanted to ask you about our plan."

"Our plan?"

"You know," said Merem, glancing around the deck to make sure they weren't overheard. "Our plan to deal with the old immortal."

"Ah. The plan is for you to get us close to her, then we'll do the rest."

"Yes, but what about specifics? What exactly am I supposed to be doing in this grand scheme of yours."

Roran sighed. There was no way he was getting out of this. After a moment of thought, Roran said, "Ahndor will be flying back with us, correct?"

"On a ship of her own, but yes. The last three ships—including our own—are to leave tomorrow."

"Then keep us close, and when we reach the ground, we'll attack."

"That's it?"

Roran nodded. "I have a plan for once we get her alone, but until then we're improvising. We'll figure it out as we go."

Merem pressed his lips into a thin line and scowled at Roran. "I thought you were supposed to be a prodigal tactician that planned everything out. Isn't that why Kell rescued you in the first place?"

Roran shrugged. "I fear people have been overexaggerating my abilities. I can't plan for what I can't control."

"I see, well let me know before you do anything stupid."

"Sure."

"I mean it, Roran. I'm placing a lot of trust in you. I expect you to keep me informed. Remember, this is my ship. So long as you're on it, you'll do as I say."

Roran gave Merem a mock salute. "Aye aye, Captain."

Merem rolled his eyes before turning on his heel and leaving Roran alone on the deck. Finally free of the ship's Captain, Roran went to find Nul.

Kings GameOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara