Chapter 55 - Storm Breaks [End of Part 2]

(1)

Roran was beginning to develop an undying hate for stairs. He understood their necessity inside a fortress carved from the peak of a mountain, but they served as a constant obstacle slowing him down. He sprinted up every set of stairs he came to, the Fel Miner following silently behind him, always keeping pace, always in his shadow.

They had to be getting close now. There were less soldiers and the castle staff had been evacuated. When he finally got to wherever they were holding Kell, the bulk of the armed forces would likely be there waiting for him.

Pushing ahead, Roran worked his way through the castle until the Fel Miner's pickaxe reached over his shoulder and blocked his path. He stopped and back at the behemoth.

"Enemies ahead?" he asked.

The Fel Miner nodded.

"Is there a way around?"

A pause, then the Fel Miner shook its head.

"No choice then."

The Fel Miner let out a low groan. It was a sad and worried sound.

"I'll be fine, I have to be. Come on, Kell is waiting for us."

The Fel Miner nodded and pulled back its pickaxe, letting Roran proceed.

Passing through another doorway, Roran found himself in a large hub. Doors lined the walls but they'd all been sealed or barricaded. A balcony ran around the upper half of the room, leading to more doors that had been sealed. As he entered, the doors swung shut behind Roran. Above him were a pair of soldiers bolting and latching the door shut, sealing him in.

As predicted, the room was full of soldiers. Many of them wore the decorations of officers but several were young and scared, their swords shaking in their hands. At the front of the pack were two more of the Royal Guard, their axes at the ready.

The Fel Miner waved its lantern and let out a low groan, further terrifying the already scared soldiers.

"Let me pass," said Roran. "No more people need to-"

"Nobody leaves this room until the Demon is dead!" said a voice.

Looking up, Roran found a heavily decorated soldier standing on the balcony and looking down on everyone from above. Roran recognized him as one of the generals from the conference room. He was short with greasy hair, similar to the King's.

"This is the final line of defense," he said. "We bring the Demon down here or we die trying!"

Roran noted that the general didn't have any sort of weapon. His lip curled in a snarl. This general was sending all of his men off to die while he stood safely above the carnage and chaos.

Raising his voice, Roran yelled, "You will all die. It will be pointless and meaningless. I will save my comrade and leave here alive, whether you live or not is up to you."

A few of the soldiers broke rank and went for some of the doors along the wall. Despite pulling and shaking, they couldn't get the doors to budge. The soldiers were as trapped as Roran was.

"I don't want to kill any more of you," Roran said. "Drop your arms and stand back. I will break through the door."

While the soldiers appeared amenable to the idea, the Royal Guard were stalwart in their conviction. They advanced on Roran in unison. Roran swore and raised his blade.

Activating his communication marking, Roran called, "Nul?"

"On our way."

"I could use assistance here."