Chapter 73 - A Little Party

Author's Note: I'm going to try posting updates a little differently. Normally, I post each part individually and condense past parts as needed (Wattpad only allows me 200 total). I'm going to try updating the same chapter each day, rather than going back and deleting old parts. Just trying it out for now, will see how it goes and adjust.

Hope you are enjoying the story so far :)

We're nearing the end of part 3!

**********

(1)

Roran held his breath, his body tense as Timara and Kell fought back and forth. He felt helpless, watching the fight from far above, but there was nothing more he could do. He'd done everything he could to prepare Kell for the fight, and his plan appeared to be working. Kell maintained the advantage as she systematically tore Timara apart.

Darling stood beside him, stock still. Though her body language appeared relaxed, she was anything but. Her jaw was clenched, the muscles twitching every time one of Timara's chains bounced off Kell's shield. Her knuckles were white and the drink in her hand rippled, giving away a slight tremor.

And then it was over. Timara made the fatal mistake of leaping at Kell, and Kell had ended it. When Timara fell limp against the platform, both Roran and Darling let out a sigh of relief. On his other side, Karyn looked sad, an expression of pity on her face.

"And it's over!" the announcer screamed, though within the diplomatic booths the voice was at a much more reasonable volume. "The Devil of Chains has fallen, struck down by a single blow from the Living Storm."

Roran sipped his drink, not tasting it. He was still watching Kell. She stood over Timara for a moment, then turned and slowly walked away, her head low. Roran didn't know what was going through Kell's mind at that moment. He knew that she and Timara had history, but he didn't know what all that entailed. He likely never would.

"I should go to her," Karyn said.

"I'll come with you," said Darling.

"Will that be alright?" asked Nul. "Diplomats don't normally sully themselves by going into the bowels of the arena." There was an acrid quality to Nul's voice, one that belied past pain. Roran made a mental note for later.

"Of course it will be alright," said Darling. "What sort of regent would I be if I didn't congratulate Uhlara's top Champion personally."

Nul rolled their eyes. "It's always politics with you people."

"Yes," said Darling, "but sometimes it's more. If you'll excuse me, I'd like to see my sister now."

Karyn and Darling left the chambers, heading down to the ready room where Kell would be recovering from the fight. Roran smiled, appreciating Darling's ability to combine her goals. By making Kell Uhlara's Champion, she was creating a strong tie between her nation and the King's Arena, merging the two ways of life through blood ties. Roran had underestimated her.

"I'm just glad it's over," Roran said.

Not only had Kell won the fight, she'd done it by adapting to her injury. She wasn't trying to overcome every obstacle through brute force anymore, she was moving on. And it was time he moved on as well. He'd wasted too much time playing toy soldier for Pelkha.

"Hey Nul, I might need your help with something."

Roran turned and found Nul missing. He looked around, wondering where they'd vanished to.

"Nul?"

Instead of Nul, Roran found an elegant woman coming towards him. She was middle aged and finely dressed, just like all the other nobles in attendance. Behind her came a tall coachman. At first, Roran was reminded of Kell's mother and their butler, but there was something painfully different about these people. They carried themselves differently. There was a hunger about the woman and an edge to the coachman. These people felt dangerous.