Chapter 9 - The living storm (2)

"Who are you?"

Roran woke to the sound of Murrin's nasally voice yelling across the dungeon. He sat up and stretched. His body ached from all the fighting and running from yesterday.

"Is Roran here?" asked a familiar voice.

"Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. What is it to you?"

"I'm here to fetch Roran."

Looking out of the dungeon, Roran spotted Nul standing next to the door, a hand over their nose to block out the stench.

He rose to his feet and dusted himself off. Waving a hand he called, "Hey Nul."

Nul waved back.

Murrin scowled at Roran, but stepped aside as he approached.

"What's up?" asked Roran.

"Kell is fighting in an event today, we want you to watch."

"Oh, sure. Lead the way."

Nul stepped back out into the hallway and Roran moved to follow. Murrin's hand came down on his shoulder, stopping him.

"Now hold on, you can't be going out there alone," said Murrin.

Nul looked from Murrin to Roran. "Why not?" they asked.

"He means he wants to come along," said Roran.

"Unless he has city rights, he's not allowed to walk around unchaperoned," said Nul.

"I don't need a chaperone!" Murrin crossed his arms, incensed.

"Do you have a medallion?" asked Nul, flashing theirs.

"A what? No, what is that?"

"Then you can't walk around unchaperoned," said Nul. "You'll be arrested if you're found out."

"Then I'll just get one of those coin things," said Murrin. "How much do they cost, I have plenty of favors."

Nul glanced at Roran, who could only shrug.

"It only costs two favors," said Nul, "but you need a sponsor and to file the paperwork."

"So sponsor me, I'm a very important person," said Murrin, lifting his nose. "I was the head councilman for all of Millgrove and handled all of our political communiques."

"And how did that work out for you?" said Nul, deadpan.

"Listen here young man, I will not be talked down to by a child!"

"I'm neither a man nor a child," said Nul. Then, turning to Roran, "You ready to go?"

Roran nodded and slipped past Murrin. Murrin tried to go after Roran, but the warden slammed the door in his face.

Murrin snarled and yelled, "You will answer for this boy!"

They ignored him and began heading for the gate.

"Is he always like that?" asked Nul.

Roran nodded. "Yup. Thanks for coming to get me."

"Yeah, next time I'll just send a message though. Your people are weird."

Roran nodded again. "Yup."

Once on the surface again, Nul made a beeline for the main streets. Unlike Kell, they didn't mind pushing through the crowded streets.

"Where are we going?" asked Roran.

"To the King's Arena," said Nul. "Kell is fighting in a war game."