Chapter 125 - Kingslayer

(1)

Kell stared down into the arena as the earth movers came out. They wiped away the structures and mess from the previous bout and smoothed everything back down to flat earth. When they were left with a blank canvas, they sketched out a simple square and raised it out of the dirt, creating a hardened platform for Kell and Tasos to fight on.

It was the same platform Kell had fought Timara on, the same platform Roran had fought Destra on, the same platform that Toran had died fighting Mentass on. So many memories for a simple plane of dirt compacted into stone.

More lyhlim were filling the arena. They had come in force. This was just as much a final battle for them as it was for Kell and her people. Looking around, Kell called, "Lyhlim, I need one of you."

A black robed figure appeared next to her. Lowering their hood, the lyhlim revealed a masculine profile with long blond hair and gentle brown eyes. "What is it?" he said.

"Are you the one in charge?" she asked.

"To an extent. I am Michaelis, I am one of the lyhlim standing in for Rathanial. How may I be of service?"

"Two things," said Kell. "First, I need you to hold onto this." She slipped the steel bangle off her wrist and handed it over to the lyhlim. He took it, examining the colorful patterns engraved into the steel. "Give it back to me when I win, or put it on my grave if I die."

"Understood. And the second thing?"

"Nobody is to touch Tasos. He is mine and mine alone. This is my fight. I have spent my life becoming the greatest Champion, all so I could stand on that stage and fight a god with the strength inside me. Do not interfere. If I die, then you can do as you please, but so long as I am standing, you are not to touch him."

"The plan was for us to assist you-"

"I don't give a shit. I will deal with Tasos. If any of you try to steal my prey I will shatter you, understood?"

Michaelis sighed, then nodded. "We shall not intervene in your destiny. May fortune smile upon you."

"I don't need fortune," Kell said softly. She laid a hand on Inkala's head, ruffling his ears. "I have my friends and my companions. They've given me all the strength I need to win."

Michaelis vanished without another word.

A moment later, there came a knock at the door. Kell turned to Inkala. "Shall we?"

"Let's go hunting!"

Kell slipped on her prosthetic and picked up her spear. Inkala vanished in a shower of sparks that snapped into Kell's skin. Energy ran through her, tensing her muscles and filling her with strength. Heading for the door, Kell threw it open before the clerk could do it himself.

"I'm ready," she said.

The clerk swallowed, nodded, then began leading Kell through the hallways and out to the arena. Kell thumped her spear against the ground with every step. She focused on her breathing, letting it flow in and out of her like a gentle seabreeze.

Once down on the ground floor, the clerk led Kell to a pair of massive double doors. He stepped aside and gestured for Kell to proceed. For the final time, the doors swung open and Kell passed through them, stepping out into the arena.

The crowd above was in a frenzy, ready for blood. Half of them were screaming, 'Kell, Kell, Kell,' while the other half were chanting, 'Tasos, Tasos, Tasos.' The noise only grew louder as Kell climbed the steps up to the surface of the raised platform. She strode out onto the killing ground and raised her spear high. The crowd exploded. Opposite her, a wiry old man in gilded robes climbed onto the platform. He shrugged off his robes and raised his arms, showing off the glimmering crown that clung to his body like a second skin. Once more, the crowd exploded into cheers.