Chapter 51 - Castle Uhlara & Chapter 52 - The Keeper of Lost Knowledge

(1)

Back in the hub, Roran found a room full of beds and laid down, attempting to force himself to sleep. Despite being exhausted from climbing for three days, Roran found sleep difficult. His arm hurt and he couldn't stop thinking about his friends.

Sarah sat on the bed next to him. "You're anxious."

"Karyn's hands were in bad shape."

"Her frostbite was worse than what you went through. The healers in King's City will be able to help her."

"She didn't complain once."

"That's because she's more worried about you and Kell. Karyn is a strong girl, you should give her more credit."

"I know."

Sarah rose. "I should go ahead. The Upper Rim isn't too big. I should be able to find Kell."

"Wait." Roran reached out and took Sarah's Hand. "How are you doing?"

"I'm fine."

"You're pale and look exhausted."

"I thought it was rude to comment on a woman's appearance. Your mother would be appalled."

Roran pulled Sarah back towards the bed. "My mother would be appalled if I didn't look after those close to me. And sometimes that includes saying when you look ill. Did you get hurt in my fall again?"

"No...I just haven't stopped to rest since I came back here, not properly."

"By here you mean?"

"The world of the living."

"I know you aren't supposed to travel as much as you do, and we've been using you as a messenger and scout."

"I just want to protect my friends..." She laced her fingers together with Roran's. "And my loved ones."

"And we want to protect you. Stay here for the night and rest. Even if you find Kell, you won't be able to do anything until I get there tomorrow. Besides, if you find the worst...I want to be there."

"Okay."

Sarah laid down on the bed, curling against Roran. He wrapped his arm around her.

"It will be okay, we'll find Kell and everything will be fine."

"Lies are comforting but you should have realistic expectations."

Roran said nothing.

After a night of fitful sleep, Roran pulled himself out of bed and forced down one of the ration bars. He packed up quickly and was heading down the tunnel minutes later.

As he walked, he placed two fingers on his neck. "I'm leaving," he said.

Karyn responded a moment later. "Travel safe, we'll follow after as soon as we can. Nul says to be careful and not do anything stupid."

"No promises."

Despite every instinct inside him urging him to run, Roran forced himself to walk. He would need his strength for when he arrived in the Upper Rim. At the halfway point, Sarah vanished, going ahead of him.

Roran hated how long it took to travel anywhere on this damn mountain. Even inside the tunnels it took most of a day to reach the Upper Rim, and that was after he'd wasted several days climbing up the mountain the long way. Roran was gaining an appreciation for the layout of King's City, how everything was condensed and there were walkways to quickly move about the city. He found himself longing for the city he'd once hated.

Roran didn't stop to rest a single time on the journey. His anxiety propelled him along until, after long hours of walking, Sarah appeared in front of him. She was paler than before and sweating.