Chapter 24 - Death

(1)

Roran stared at his coffee, feeling exhausted despite the full night's sleep. Nul sat next to him, sharing the misery. Roran's stomach ached. He couldn't tell if it was from eating twice the usual amount last night or because he was starving again.

Karyn set a plate of rolls on the table then went back to tending for Kell who was sprawled out on the couch again.

"Eat," said Kell. "I know you feel like crap and the best way to fix it is to eat. Your body depleted most of its energy using the focus markings."

Roran grabbed a roll and stuffed it into his mouth, chewing slowly.

"Your body will become accustomed to it after a while," said Nul. "Just bear with it for now."

Nodding, Roran grabbed another roll and stuffed it into his face. As he consumed more food and coffee, his energy started to return. By his fourth roll, he was starting to feel human again.

"The training arena should be empty if you want to use it," said Kell.

"Use it for what?"

"Training, you need to get as much practice in as you can between now and the event."

"By myself?"

Kell gestured to her back. "I need to let this heal before I can be of much use. I should also lay low for a few days. Timara will probably come after me again and I don't want Nul showing off their skills too much. If we melt any more alleyways I'll wind up in a revenge match for sure."

"Won't Timara come after me?" Roran hated how scared he sounded.

Kell shook her head. "Nah, she's not that smart. She probably doesn't even remember you."

"Oh, okay. What sort of training should I do?"

"Focus markings," said Nul. "I'll give you the beads, just focus on activating the markings and running laps. It will need to be second nature by the time you enter the King's Arena."

Roran didn't argue. The last thing he wanted to do was more training, but he would have to push through it if he wanted to survive the next bout.

"Okay, I'll head out in a little bit. Does anyone else ever use the training arena?"

"Not really," said Kell. "There are bigger and better training arenas. I just like them because you have to pay to use them and there's often a waiting list."

"Why do we get to use this one for free?"

"Because the owner likes me."

"It's because you threatened and blackmailed him."

Kell shrugged. "Either way the arena is ours to use, any day, any time."

"Okay, I'll get going then."

"So soon?" asked Karyn.

"Yeah, the sooner I get started the sooner I'll be done."

"That's the spirit! Pick up some booze on the way home, the good stuff."

Roran rose to his feet. "Will do." He was already wearing his sword and buckler out of habit and was ready to head out the door.

Nul disappeared into the workshop and returned with a couple strands of beads and a small bottle. "Try not to push yourself too hard, but if you do drink the fluid in the vial. It will give you a boost. It won't heal you, but it should give you enough energy to get home."

"Thanks."

As Roran was heading towards the door, Karyn ran up and threw her arms around him, crushing him with a hug. Roran smiled and hugged her back.