Chapter 17 - Blood debt (5)

With nothing to do but wait for Nul and Karyn to examine the mystery substance, Kell poured Roran some wine and they settled onto the couch.

"You said your herbalist made the stuff?" Kell asked.

"Yeah, she was the one my mom went to whenever she needed medicine. My mom always said she was good. I didn't know she was familiar with poisons though."

"Poisons aren't that different from medicine, they just have a different outcome."

Roran nodded, rubbing his palms together. They didn't feel any different but he was extra aware of them, as if he hadn't realized he had hands until he had accidentally coated them in poison.

"I'm sure you'll be fine," said Kell, grinning at him. "Nul is the smartest person I know and Karyn isn't far behind."

"If you don't mind me asking, what's your relationship with her?"

"With Karyn? What do you think? I pay her money to have sex with me. Outside of that I like her alright. She's a kind person that's fun to be around. If she keeps hanging out with us I might start calling her a friend."

"Have you considered courting her?"

"Nah, I'm not one for all the gooey romance stuff. What about you? Did she catch your eye?"

Roran shrugged. "I haven't really thought about it. She's a friend and I like being around her, but I haven't thought about romance with everything going on. I could die any time I step foot in the arena. It's hard to think much past that."

"That's the life of a champion. We walk the line of life and death."

"I'm not a champion," said Roran.

"Not yet."

"Morena said something similar, that if I win the tourney they would make me a champion and give me a title. Did you know that would happen?"

"It's not a guarantee, but with the way you're cutting down champions it's a pretty safe bet you'll be given a title at the end of it all."

"What do you think they'll call me?" Roran was hoping for anything that didn't include the word 'murderer'.

"Hell if I know. The judges come up with a bunch of suggestions and the audience does a noise vote. You know, they almost called me 'the spear maiden', but those idiots went with the living storm instead. Half of us champions are the living something or other. I could have gotten a cool and distinguished title, but no, they had to give me a dumb one."

"Why do they call Nul the worldbreaker?"

"Nul uses advanced focus markings to bend the world around them. You saw what the earth workers could do?"

Roran nodded.

"Think that but with all the elements and geared towards combat. Reality is Nul's plaything. They don't like fighting but can do a lot of damage when pushed to violence."

They continued chatting for a few more hours, working their way through a bottle of wine. Before Roran realized it, he had dozed off on the couch. He woke several hours later to the sound of movement in the kitchen and the smell of bacon.

Sitting upright, he was greeted by a typical morning in Kell's apartment. Kell was bustling about the kitchen, putting together breakfast, while Nul leaned over a cup of coffee, contemplating the torture that was being awake in the morning.

"Good morning sleepyhead," said Karyn. She had a bright smile that was contrasted by deep bags under her eyes. "It looks like you survived the night."