Chapter 101 - The Immortal

(1)

Ahndor came to stand opposite the trio, glaring them down, her sword held low.

"I suppose I should have expected that from you," she said to Roran. "Like father, like son."

Roran adjusted the grip on his sword. His palms were sweating. He had come face to face with General Ahndor several times now but she had never seemed so tall before. Her armor was ripped to shreds and two shattered ships were lying behind her, and yet there wasn't a single scratch on her body.

"You just killed a lot of good men," said Ahndor. "I'm done letting you do as you please. I'm ending you here and now."

Roran swallowed. He was clenching his teeth hard enough that it hurt.

Shifting her gaze from Roran to Kell, Ahndor said, "You see what I mean? This is exactly the kind of insanity I was talking about. Can you honestly tell me that this was worth it? All of this senseless death. This is what you can expect from someone who consorts with lyhlim."

Kell lowered her gaze. Her shoulders hunched forward and she wrapped an arm around herself.

"Those people had families," said Ahndor. "And this boy just murdered them all with his recklessness. It's time to forget him, Kell. It's time to make good on your promise."

Kell sucked in a breath, then let it out, deflating. Slowly, she moved away from Roran's side. She walked over to Ahndor. Standing by the General's side, Kell turned to face Roran.

"Kell?" asked Nul.

"This is what needs to be done," said Kell. "I don't see any other way forward. Not for us."

Ahndor grinned. "Well, one of you has some sense."

Nul glanced from Kell to Ahndor, then to Roran. Roran didn't look at them. He kept his gaze firmly fixed on Ahndor. The hilt of his sword felt slippery in his hand. His damned palms wouldn't stop sweating.

"Is this...is this what you were talking about the other night?" asked Nul.

Kell nodded.

"Kell and I made a deal," said Ahndor. "She's with me. I'm willing to offer you a similar deal. Clemency in exchange for Roran. You don't even have to fight him, simply walk away. I know he was the one who led you astray. Simply leave his side and you can walk away from this whole mess."

Nul licked their lips, hesitating.

"Nul," said Kell, "Roran can't handle this. Come to this side, trust me."

Hesitantly, Nul stepped away from Roran. They walked halfway to Ahndor then stopped and turned. Roran didn't meet their gaze. He continued staring at Ahndor. Looking confused and lost, Nul turned their back on Roran and walked to stand next to Ahndor, opposite Kell.

A bead of sweat dripped down Roran's temple. He realized that he'd never felt this scared before. Not when he was first fighting for his life in the Crucible, not when he was falling off a cliff in Uhlara, not even when he was fighting his way through an army in the streets of King's City.

He stood there, his sword slippery in his hand, staring down the strongest person he'd ever faced, with his two closest friends standing on either side of her. He had never had so much to lose and the odds were stacked against him.

Licking his lips, Roran said, "Sarah?"

"I'm here," she said.

Her presence solidified behind him. Starting in his shadow and expanding outwards, she manifested into a physical body. Roran could tell it was a new specter, one he hadn't seen before, but he didn't dare take his eyes off Ahndor. Whatever version of Death she saw was new to Roran.